Ich Devastation

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a absolutely beautiful 90 gallon mixed reef tank, beautiful corals, mostly tangs. Around 3 weeks ago my sump sprang a massive leak at its seam. I had to shut sown the sump while the marine silicone was drying, 24 hours. I kept the wave maker, power heads, heater all going. A few days later I noticed corals turning white, saw my first signs of Ich on some tangs. One by one, all the fish have died except 1 Sail fin, 1 Naso Tang, 1 Fox face, 1 small Cleaner wrasse, 2 Coral banded shrimp, Red Serpent star fish, 2 Anemones.

If I had not just bought a new sump, Radion XR-15 lights, (2), I would seriously consider getting out of this hobby. This was a very stable reef setup almost 2 years old with near perfect water parameters. By the time the Ich had really become full force, it was too late to remove the fish to another tank to medicate my LFS had told me, the stress would be too much he said. He advised to raise temperature 1 degree, soak food in garlic but reduce food amount, no seaweed treats daily, maintain same lighting schedules.

The monetary value of the loss really does not bother me, its the loss of fish,corals and all my hard work down the drain so to speak.

I will in all likelihood start all over again and learn from this.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a absolutely beautiful 90 gallon mixed reef tank, beautiful corals, mostly tangs. Around 3 weeks ago my sump sprang a massive leak at its seam. I had to shut sown the sump while the marine silicone was drying, 24 hours. I kept the wave maker, power heads, heater all going. A few days later I noticed corals turning white, saw my first signs of Ich on some tangs. One by one, all the fish have died except 1 Sail fin, 1 Naso Tang, 1 Fox face, 1 small Cleaner wrasse, 2 Coral banded shrimp, Red Serpent star fish, 2 Anemones.

If I had not just bought a new sump, Radion XR-15 lights, (2), I would seriously consider getting out of this hobby. This was a very stable reef setup almost 2 years old with near perfect water parameters. By the time the Ich had really become full force, it was too late to remove the fish to another tank to medicate my LFS had told me, the stress would be too much he said. He advised to raise temperature 1 degree, soak food in garlic but reduce food amount, no seaweed treats daily, maintain same lighting schedules.

The monetary value of the loss really does not bother me, its the loss of fish,corals and all my hard work down the drain so to speak.

Sorry for your loss. What do you think it was that caused the coral to die?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24hrs is pretty fast to re fill. Lots of silicone advises 48hrs to cure. And many people stick to the safe side and give it a full week before water. I think that had a lot to do with your coral deaths. The ich was already in your system obviously and the added stress on your livestock gave it an opening to take over.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hopefully things start turning around for you. I would catch whoever is left and treat them with copper and allow your system to go fishless for at least 60 days to help prevent another outbreak in the future.

OP
OP
Tom2257

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. What do you think it was that caused the coral to die?
My sump had a massive leak at the seams and was down for 48 hours. It threw my entire system off. As far as the Ich outbreak, I have no idea why and how that happened. My plans as of now is to have a all coral tank and around March, add maybe 2 nice fish and thats it. Slowly my Nitrates are going back down, all of the other parameters are good and a few corals died but most are showing signs of improvement.

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why would he say stop daily nori feedings? You'd want to promote full/healthy immune systems so part seems weird to me. Sorry you had to go through this!
Did you end up putting in a UV?

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel your pain. I had an equipment short on mine and the tank got zapped in November. I lost all my fish and a bunch of coral. I pulled the equipment and salvaged what I could, and luckily some of the pieces made it and are back to thriving again, so I'm currently putting the first two fish through QT. Had everything kicked the bucket, I'd have just broken it all down and called it quits.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back