Black Clover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55 gallon salt water DT has Ich!?!
I have lost 3 fish in one week.

I am convinced that the only thing that will cure Ich is to treat ALL my fish with copper in a QT. I cannot treat the DT as I have lots of invertebrates that will die from the the copper.

I believe I have to starve the parasites by removing fish and treating them in my 20 gallon QT tank…

HUGE PROBLEM: Canada has banned Cupramine from Seachem. Bravo Canada!
So what can I treat with???

The only thing I was able to get my hands on was one 250ml bottle of ParaGuard (also banned) but it has no copper and has mixed reviews.

I don’t believe that by lowering salinity, raising water temperature, doing dips, buying a wrasse or using garlic will cure the fish.

There are parasites living in my aquarium that WILL kill my fish…

This really sucks cause my Flame Angel now has it on his tail fin… feel so bad for them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

OP
OP
Black Clover

Black Clover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post by Jay Hemdal, thanks...
The Flame angel passed today... that's 4 fish down now. I'm down to 2 clownfish and 3 chromis... treating in QT with Paraguard and less salinity... dang you ICH!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My 55 gallon salt water DT has Ich!?!
I have lost 3 fish in one week.

I am convinced that the only thing that will cure Ich is to treat ALL my fish with copper in a QT. I cannot treat the DT as I have lots of invertebrates that will die from the the copper.

I believe I have to starve the parasites by removing fish and treating them in my 20 gallon QT tank…

HUGE PROBLEM: Canada has banned Cupramine from Seachem. Bravo Canada!
So what can I treat with???

The only thing I was able to get my hands on was one 250ml bottle of ParaGuard (also banned) but it has no copper and has mixed reviews.

I don’t believe that by lowering salinity, raising water temperature, doing dips, buying a wrasse or using garlic will cure the fish.

There are parasites living in my aquarium that WILL kill my fish…

This really sucks cause my Flame Angel now has it on his tail fin… feel so bad for them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
While copper does work well, we as a medic team would like to see pics and video under white light intensity to assess and confirm what issues you have

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Flame angel passed today... that's 4 fish down now. I'm down to 2 clownfish and 3 chromis... treating in QT with Paraguard and less salinity... dang you ICH!
Not less salinity but 1.009, that’s hypo, and only works ick.
Is a tried and true method.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paraguard doesn't work for ich but does for brooklynella. I would just do hyposalinity though, not both. Make sure to achieve the very specific salinity needed. Also be careful with paraguard as it is an aldehyde based product.

OP
OP
Black Clover

Black Clover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re in Vancouver I have cupramine, I can give you some or you can order it off Amazon.com and have it delivered to your house but it takes a week or two and that may be too late?
Thanks man. Appreciate that. Unfortunately I’m all the way across Canada in Quebec and it looks like time has run out. Lost one Chromi today too. Averaging a fish per day in last 5 days.
Lost my Flame Angel, Coral Beauty, Sailfin and Firefish too… Down to my two Clownfish and two last Chromis. At this point I’m just hoping my clowns can fight it. One of the Chromis has a spot. My salt is down to 1.015 and I’m doing water changes daily. Wish me luck. Sad to see the fish suffer and die, but also sad to see my money wasted…

vancouverredsea350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain, I’ve had Ich wipe out my tank, then velvet, and then my own stupidity while going on vacation and turning the heat down in my house. Now all fish I buy go through cupramine and api general cure before going in the display and knock on wood I haven’t had any issues. Wish you the best of luck with your remaining fish! For what it’s worth my clownfish were the only ones to survive Ich.

OP
OP
Black Clover

Black Clover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICH UPDATE:
3.5 weeks later... Only survivors were the Darwin clown fish and DaVinci clown fish. I stopped Paraguard as I read it was not efficient to treat Ich. - I lowered salinity and raised the water temp. Not sure if they survived on their own because they hardy fish or if the intervention helped. Maybe both...
They are still in 20 gallon QT doing very well but I'm having to do constant water changes, dealing with high Nitrites 1.0 ppm and Nitrates at 60 a few days ago. I'm down to 0.25 ppm and 20 now. I noticed the water is a little cloudy... not sure why. Maybe a bacterial boom? There was lots of brown algae that I had to scratch out of there... would this have messed with the water?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back