ICH in DT and need Advice on Potential Solutions

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 36 of Hypo salinity and Day 31 for No Spots/Signs of Ich. Happy to report that there is NO LOSS of fish due to Ich. Unfortunately last week, my Apex Temperature probe broke and that raised temperature to 90 F overnight causing my 10 inch queen angel/3.5 inch Flame and 3.5 inch coral beauty's demise. However, want to emphasis that the Hyposalinity works well. I had ammonia spike but that was due to a very large (5 inch) snail that I just forgot to take out as he kept hidden at the back near the black water column in my waterbox and he barely moves but with his death there was a lot of ammonia for a week in the beginning.

I am starting to now increase salinity over 4 days (in ten 5 gallon water replacements) back to 1.022 - 1.024 range.

I am so glad that this has worked for me removing ich parasite from my tank. My corals/anemones are doing well in the separate tank and they will be moved back in in another 14 days (i.e total 50 days of fallow water for the ich in it to be dead).

What temperature have your corals been held at? If below 81 degrees, you should probably keep them fallow for 60 days, just to be safe.

Jay

OP
OP
S

SAM2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temperature have your corals been held at? If below 81 degrees, you should probably keep them fallow for 60 days, just to be safe.

Jay
Noted Jay. Yes, the temperature was below 81 (like around 79/80). I’ll do the 60 days, doesn’t hurt but will only help. :)

OP
OP
S

SAM2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing something like this grow in my coral tank. It is large in numbers spread over 2 or 3 rocks. Initially my son and I thought, it was just air bubble trapped in algae but it is not. With Tweezers, I plucked on & brought it out and it is like a rubbery bubble (kind of egg shaped). We monitored it and it doesn't seem to move or change shape. Any Idea what is it and is it harmful to my corals or fish?

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 23

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing something like this grow in my coral tank. It is large in numbers spread over 2 or 3 rocks. Initially my son and I thought, it was just air bubble trapped in algae but it is not. With Tweezers, I plucked on & brought it out and it is like a rubbery bubble (kind of egg shaped). We monitored it and it doesn't seem to move or change shape. Any Idea what is it and is it harmful to my corals or fish?

That's Valonia, also called bubble algae. It can become a pest in some reef tanks. Search for that term here, you'll get lots of information!

Jay

OP
OP
S

SAM2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone !!
Posting a video of my tank that just got out of the full hypo salinity treatment (I kept about 32 days at 1.009 after the day there were no signs of Ich and Corals in a separate tank for about 58 days. No Fish died as a result of Ich or the treatment. I did loose the biggest queen angel and 2 dwarf angels but that was due to failure of my Apex temperature probe. About 2 or 3 corals/anemones died out of the 20 or so. (not bad at all). I got bunch of bubble algae in my coral tank but once I moved all rocks to main DT, my 2 fox face and emperor angel ate/destroyed all of it in a day. I am very thankful to the community and especially Jay Hemdal for ongoing support.
If anyone has any questions, I would like to be of help to them as well & share the knowledge I gained over this course of time.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Post Hypo Fish Coral Video.mp4
    6.6 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back