Ich in temperate tanks?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have there been any studies of the parasite cycle in subtropical temperatures? I'm thinking of starting up a temperate build in an Evo this summer, with a catalina goby or two (and a hulafish if I can get my hands on one), and haven't brought up anything in searches. Could the 72 day fallow period for 20C temperatures be even longer for a tank in the 17C range?

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to read the article by Humblefish titled "Marine ich and temperature", Jan 30, 2016. R2R.
Might be what you're after.
Yes, that's perfect...although it raises even more questions. So no one has attempted a study with a temperate fish like a Catalina Goby? And if 0 samples excysted at 12-17C, does this mean that ich cannot replicate at those temperatures? But any enysted samples can survive for up to 6 months at those temperatures and then hatch if warmer waters are encountered? Curious...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a Cryptocaryon analog that is very common and is infective down to 50 f. I don’t know it’s exact taxonomy, it is a non-descript ciliate. It is very difficult to treat.
Jay

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a Cryptocaryon analog that is very common and is infective down to 50 f. I don’t know it’s exact taxonomy, it is a non-descript ciliate. It is very difficult to treat.
Jay
Is it still only in the Eastern Mediterranean, or has it spread in the aquarium trade? And copper treatment is ineffective?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still only in the Eastern Mediterranean, or has it spread in the aquarium trade? And copper treatment is ineffective?
No - this is a ciliate that is found pretty widely spread - I've gotten it on temperate coldwater fish from Japan. Copper works, but you have to catch it early because it is so slow to effect a cure, if you catch it late, the fish die before the copper has time to work. It looks like Cryptocaryon, perhaps a bit darker. Rather than distinct white spots, it presents more like congested skin with mucus.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the treatment period the same, or extended because of the cooler temperatures?
Well, I always dose copper for 30 days, so that time frame deals with it, not sure about the two week dose though.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back