Ich came back in new DT. Need hypo help.

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, guys! :D

Thanks for all the help I've gotten since my first foray back into marine systems! Kind of a long read. I have an injury resulting from brain trauma, and my brain wanders easily and has trouble connecting trains of thought.

I recently upgraded to a 75g from a 40b I had ich issues with about six months ago. I ran hypo for 5 weeks during that time at 1.009 on the 40b (one week until no signs, then 30 days thereafter following I think Humble and J's and a few other's advice) and it did not come back. I made sure the water stayed at 1.009, though I did leave the country for a week on a dive trip during treatment and it rose during the 30 day period. My friend, who also has tanks and was watching things, said the refractometer rose to 1.010-1.011 while I was gone. The 1.010-1.011 part was concerning, but ich never came back, even after my clown beat the heck out of my damsel and I had to treat him in a qt for a skin wound about two months ago.

I set up the new tank a month or so ago and waited to introduce new fish or anything at all while things stabilized. At that time, I got a small lemon peel mimic tang. LFS said 75g was fine because I'll upgrade again in the summer when my friend gives me his 125g. I had the tang in a 10g qt and strictly followed BRS qt protocols from the video. He did just fine during qt and showed no signs of anything. However, after about five days in the dt, my clown, sixline, and the tang all have ich. Can only assume damsel does but it isn't showing externally.

My big question is did my hypo get screwed up when salinity rose slightly? My LFS said they do 1.010-1.011 for clowns and wrasses and that it shouldn't have mattered, and the ich didn't come back. Is it worth it to remove my snails again and try hypo a second time with a new fish in there? Or should I just go the copper medication route in the 40b as a hospital tank and let the 75g go fallow so it's gone for good? I'm kind of at a loss right now and very upset at myself because I obviously did something wrongly, and need to fix this asap to save my friends. Thanks for any help or advice!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks for all the help I've gotten since my first foray back into marine systems! Kind of a long read. I have an injury resulting from brain trauma, and my brain wanders easily and has trouble connecting trains of thought.

I recently upgraded to a 75g from a 40b I had ich issues with about six months ago. I ran hypo for 5 weeks during that time at 1.009 on the 40b (one week until no signs, then 30 days thereafter following I think Humble and J's and a few other's advice) and it did not come back. I made sure the water stayed at 1.009, though I did leave the country for a week on a dive trip during treatment and it rose during the 30 day period. My friend, who also has tanks and was watching things, said the refractometer rose to 1.010-1.011 while I was gone. The 1.010-1.011 part was concerning, but ich never came back, even after my clown beat the heck out of my damsel and I had to treat him in a qt for a skin wound about two months ago.

I set up the new tank a month or so ago and waited to introduce new fish or anything at all while things stabilized. At that time, I got a small lemon peel mimic tang. LFS said 75g was fine because I'll upgrade again in the summer when my friend gives me his 125g. I had the tang in a 10g qt and strictly followed BRS qt protocols from the video. He did just fine during qt and showed no signs of anything. However, after about five days in the dt, my clown, sixline, and the tang all have ich. Can only assume damsel does but it isn't showing externally.

My big question is did my hypo get screwed up when salinity rose slightly? My LFS said they do 1.010-1.011 for clowns and wrasses and that it shouldn't have mattered, and the ich didn't come back. Is it worth it to remove my snails again and try hypo a second time with a new fish in there? Or should I just go the copper medication route in the 40b as a hospital tank and let the 75g go fallow so it's gone for good? I'm kind of at a loss right now and very upset at myself because I obviously did something wrongly, and need to fix this asap to save my friends. Thanks for any help or advice!
Hypo should not have been switched which elevation of salt likely from evaporation and can easily be brought back down. I dont recommend hypo for extended time period and now may be a good time to add a UV unit for further protection.
Assure good water quality and oxygen with hypo and assure its indeed ich. Pics under white light will help

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, your hyposalinity did not get messed up at those levels - and 2 - you might want to check with BRS for the other questions - however- at this point I would suggest leaving your fish in a QT tank per the protocol above (i.e. copper followed. by prazipro)- and your tank fallow for 76 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For ich, the hyposalinity needs to be at 1.009, maybe 1.010. Any higher than that, and the ich parasite can possibly survive. Here is a thread we have about running hyposalinity:

Jay

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank went out of hypo while I was out of town. My friend used saltwater, from a storage container clearly labeled saltwater to top the tank off with instead of freshwater, from a storage container clearly labeled freshwater.

I'm going to treat with copper in my 40 breeder and let the 75 go fallow. I travel a lot and can't go through this again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank went out of hypo while I was out of town. My friend used saltwater, from a storage container clearly labeled saltwater to top the tank off with instead of freshwater, from a storage container clearly labeled freshwater.

I'm going to treat with copper in my 40 breeder and let the 75 go fallow. I travel a lot and can't go through this again.
How high did the salinity go?
Did you see any rebound of ich?

Some people have imposed crazy “rules” about hypo - like if you go above 1.010 for a day you have to start over. This is not always true.

Jay

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks Jay. Yes it came back and my clown is really worse for wear. No one else showing spots, but my friend who is a manager at my LFS came and said it's likely ich plus brook/velvet

Attachments

• 20231222_112357.jpg
    20231222_112357.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231222_112400.jpg
    20231222_112400.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231222_112402.jpg
    20231222_112402.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some better pictures. I have rally pro on hand but that's it. I'm planning on going to the lfs to buy copper or start hypo over

Attachments

• 20231222_112754.jpg
    20231222_112754.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231222_112757.jpg
    20231222_112757.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231222_112758.jpg
    20231222_112758.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smh....found my sixline hiding in a rock. He's got 5 or 6 spots again, mostly on tail. Came right out and is acting normal.

edit: Had no spots last night when I checked

Edit: did a big water change matching 1.013 salinity. I don't have calibration solution but I have rodi and my swing arm and refractometer are within +/- .001* best as I can tell anyways

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Made a video of the clown

I don’t see discrete white spots here like ich would be showing. I do see excess mucus that is a sign of brooklynelka. Velvet is unlikely in this case.
I think your LFS may be right - brooklynella and possibly ich at the same time. That ca be difficult to treat as it takes two different types of treatment. In this case, I guess I would pick hypo and ruby reef rally pro.

Jay

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ever so grateful. Canceled my next trip after Xmas to finally knock this out. Won't have to travel for 5 weeks

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically how fast can I lower salinity over 24 hours? Or should I do one gallon each time again over 48 hours?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically how fast can I lower salinity over 24 hours? Or should I do one gallon each time again over 48 hours?

That depends on how big of a drop you are going to have to make. Fish always tolerate a DROP in specific gravity much better than a RISE. I've gone from full to half specific gravity (1.025 to 1.012) in 24 hours, in four equal drops.

Jay

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Lost the clown this morning after he was looking better. Absolutely devastated but the other three fish look and are acting greatly. Went down to half gravity and am finishing up today. Thank you for all the help, I've learned a lot from this

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back