Ich infestation

ab2gail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an angelfish that had a few spots of ich about a week ago. I quarantined the fish and tried hydrogen peroxide treatment, since I read some reviews and it was on hand. The fish as of now has no visible ich and is doing okay. I noticed today that my pair of clowns both have ich. One is breathing very heavily, shows very little interest in food and is covered in ich on all parts. The other is not as far gone and is still eating and is breathing okay. I don’t know how to treat my clownfish. I tried a freshwater dip but learned that it just caused more stress. Do I move them to my quarantined tank even though I still have my angel in there and she seems okay? I’m still fairly new to the hobby as it hasn’t been over a year since I’ve had my tank. Any help is very appreciated.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one fish in your DT has ich, then they all have it (or will get it). Once the parasites drop off the fish, it sticks to rock, sand, glass, etc. as part of the life cycle. The next phase of the life cycle is the releasing of free swimmers which seeks out any & all fish to infect.

Also, H2O2 only provides temporary relief for parasites at best. You need to treat with Copper, Chloroquine phosphate, tank transfer method, or hyposalinity in QT. All of which are listed here with links to more info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.191226/

OP
OP
ab2gail

ab2gail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have since learned that this is more than likely velvet. The female of my clownfish pair had died overnight and looked as if she was dipped in white powder. I quarantined my other clown with the angel (I have yet to catch my goby) and I started cupramine treatment this morning. When I had woke up my fish had died and the other was in about the same condition as the first before it died so I ran for medicine. It was at the bottom and barely moving or trying to swim. Once I quarantined and started treatment he looked better. He actually attempts swimming and staying towards the middle of the tank instead of the bottom. Now it has been maybe 2 hours and he’s back to barely swimming and is half on his side. The angel starts to prod him when they see him barely float and the clown will start trying to swim normal again. Is this normal for velvet? Every now and again he’ll swim fine and acts better then other times he’ll stay at the bottom like he’s barely alive. Any advice?

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are under siege right now... got so bad I can only go fallow now. I’ve lost 3 fish so far the rest are running through copper as we speak. Ich is a war don’t feel bad we all go through it at some point in time!

54F2D4F6-412E-41AB-BE27-E98D80497774.jpeg

OP
OP
ab2gail

ab2gail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are under siege right now... got so bad I can only go fallow now. I’ve lost 3 fish so far the rest are running through copper as we speak. Ich is a war don’t feel bad we all go through it at some point in time!

54F2D4F6-412E-41AB-BE27-E98D80497774.jpeg
Hopefully yours can push through! It worries me at the stage of my clownfish. As I mentioned he barely tries to swim and doesn’t seem to have any interest in food. Not expecting him to live through tonight.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully yours can push through! It worries me at the stage of my clownfish. As I mentioned he barely tries to swim and doesn’t seem to have any interest in food. Not expecting him to live through tonight.
Velvet is tough. :(

By the time you can see strong visible symptoms the fishes gills are normally very damaged. All you can do at this point is to maintain the copper levels and hope he recovers.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my clown this morning was doing exactly what yours was, outlooks not good if yours isn’t eating. Absolutely critical to get them eating during this stage, I refused to let this #%^* of a parasite kill 400 with of purple tangs alone. Sometimes you can loose fish due to copper but the risks are worth it to try and save what you have. Try to keep the stress down as much as possible as well. Lots of air and low light so they don’t freak out.

I’ve had my fish for 4 years. Not even sure where the ich came from most likely corals. Velvet kills quick. But if your fish is covered in salt size white dots it’s ich. Can you post some pictures.

Came home to this... from vacation.

C87E64B0-EA90-447A-B374-CC678A7D2E57.jpeg

OP
OP
ab2gail

ab2gail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my clown this morning was doing exactly what yours was, outlooks not good if yours isn’t eating. Absolutely critical to get them eating during this stage, I refused to let this #%^* of a parasite kill 400 with of purple tangs alone. Sometimes you can loose fish due to copper but the risks are worth it to try and save what you have. Try to keep the stress down as much as possible as well. Lots of air and low light so they don’t freak out.
I’ve been trying to keep their stress down and haven’t turned on the lights. I’m tempted to put a blanket over the top because I have a pretty large window in my room. I’m hoping he can get at least somewhat better to the point where he can eat.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to keep their stress down and haven’t turned on the lights. I’m tempted to put a blanket over the top because I have a pretty large window in my room. I’m hoping he can get at least somewhat better to the point where he can eat.
You don’t want total darkness as that can also stress them out more, just low light on a natural cycle. Sometimes the QT process can result in the death of more fish if not properly done.!

OP
OP
ab2gail

ab2gail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took a more close look of my clownfish (Black ocellaris) and he’s losing his black color? His black is faded with blotched of brown. Is the loss of color normal? Is it the cupramine?

OP
OP
ab2gail

ab2gail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When not looking at him super up close he doesn’t look super horrible. It’s when you get close. I feel horrible for the little guy. He looks disastrous. Is he also experiencing a burn on his fins or rot? Fate doesn’t look too good. Or is this just the velvet that’s blotchy?

D54A2251-3D0B-4D02-A276-A2CD711D037A.jpeg

OP
OP
ab2gail

ab2gail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When not looking at him super up close he doesn’t look super horrible. It’s when you get close. I feel horrible for the little guy. He looks disastrous. Is he also experiencing a burn on his fins or rot? Fate doesn’t look too good. Or is this just the velvet that’s blotchy?

D54A2251-3D0B-4D02-A276-A2CD711D037A.jpeg
He’s just started swimming about more, instead of being in the corner like in the pic. Is that a good sign?

OP
OP
ab2gail

ab2gail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like brook to me is it slimy? In the late stages. Sadly I think I he’s to far gone.
I’m not sure if it’s slimy or not. I just feel so bad for the little guy. The angel however, will not let him die. Every time she thinks he’s stopped swimming she’ll poke his tail/body until he swims about.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time will tell prob not the answer you are looking for but the only thing we can do. Is wait and give them the best chance to pull through.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For treating velvet, this is your best strategy: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499437

Even if you can’t source acriflavine or formalin, at least do the 5 min FW dip before treating with copper: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

A single FW dip will remove 80-90% of the parasites, which gives your fish a fighting chance in QT. I would also dose metro alongside copper just in case that clownfish has brook: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/metronidazole.298762/

Back