Ich on clownfish

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, recently got a new clownfish, all seemed well until the last few days where it’s not been eating and looks like it’s developed ich.. I’m going on holiday tomorrow. What’s steps should I take now in order for to make it whilst I’m away and not come back to a tank crash?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that's not a good scenario. First, you should determine that it is indeed ich, and not something less contagious.
Ich causes salt-sized white spots on the fish, and the fish will act essentially normal and continue to eat until it has been sick for quite some time (a week or more). Velvet causes a fish to sopt eating and breath rapidly, followed by death in a few days. Brooklynella is common in newly acquired clownfish - the fish will develop a white slime, will swim weakly, and will stop eating.

If you post a video and pictures, we can help you diagnose the issue.

What other fish are in the tank with it?

Treatment is going to be difficult to impossible while you are gone, is there somebody at home who could dispense the treatment for you?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This seems to be a mixed infection - there are a few white spots that could be ich, but their low numbers do not correspond with the fish acting lethargic, not eating, and breathing fast. Treating that is not going to be possible in a tank with corals, sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
W

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This seems to be a mixed infection - there are a few white spots that could be ich, but their low numbers do not correspond with the fish acting lethargic, not eating, and breathing fast. Treating that is not going to be possible in a tank with corals, sorry!

Jay
Got a yellow watchman and a corris wrasse as well as another clown. I’m hoping the fish can fight it off. I’m going to get some garlic infused mysis in hopes that it eats it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a yellow watchman and a corris wrasse as well as another clown. I’m hoping the fish can fight it off. I’m going to get some garlic infused mysis in hopes that it eats it
Garlic isn’t a very effective treatment for external fish diseases….I’d go as far as saying it doesn’t work at all. It does work as an irritant to dislodge some internal parasites.
Jay

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back