Ich options

emperata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If l encounter an ich outbreak and choose to go fallow for two months, can l continue to add coral/inverts for those 8 weeks? Jeff

Yeos87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do that for 8 weeks fishless to remove all ich from my DT. However in between that 8 week period I’ve been adding corals and CUC and after I put my fishes in, my tank is ich free. Like the other mention early, there is always a risk by add invert and corals. That risk is very low, since ich need a host to survive.

Upvote 0

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do that for 8 weeks fishless to remove all ich from my DT. However in between that 8 week period I’ve been adding corals and CUC and after I put my fishes in, my tank is ich free. Like the other mention early, there is always a risk by add invert and corals. That risk is very low, since ich need a host to survive.
You hope that it is ICH free. You cant really know for sure because you did add wet items being corals and inverts. There can be Ich in a system and it doesn't show up on fish until they are stressed.Hopefully you are right and don't have it but this is not the safe way to operate. you should QT all inverts and corals.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If l encounter an ich outbreak and choose to go fallow for two months, can l continue to add coral/inverts for those 8 weeks? Jeff
You should only do that if the invertebrates are coming from a completely fishless systems (and few do). You do need to choose your fallow time period carefully. The minimum is 45 days, at higher temperature (81+). 8 weeks at 81 is better, and if the tank is at a lower temp, you should go longer - up to 14 weeks. That said, time and time again I hear of folks running fallow, and then when the time is up, getting new fish. Those fish get ich and they think the fallow period failed. Actually, not properly quarantining the new fish was where the failure was.

Here is an article I wrote on biosecurity:

Jay Hemdal

Upvote 0

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there, I can’t recommend enough the H2O2 protocol on humble.fish, especially when combined with properly used/power UV. I’ve had 100% success treating ich doing this, and although they were a little stressed, it didn’t cause any lasting harm to anemones or coral. I’ve had consistent problems with ich for decades as I love pufferfish which simply shouldn’t be treated with copper, etc and do often have ich.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back