White spots in the back of the tank

jchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

White spots in back

Had ich/velvet recently, not sure which, but planning to fallow for 76 days. Pulled all the fish out, lost a bristletooth tang but was able to rescue my other tang, clowns and damsels. Currently 2 weeks into fallow, my qt tank is doing well. All fish feeding well. Still keeping up maintenance of my dt, corals are doing well, my nems are also good, but have noticed white spots on the back of the tank. Any idea what this could be? Have been scraping them off, but wondering if this is an indication of ich/velvet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

White spots in back

Had ich/velvet recently, not sure which, but planning to fallow for 76 days. Pulled all the fish out, lost a bristletooth tang but was able to rescue my other tang, clowns and damsels. Currently 2 weeks into fallow, my qt tank is doing well. All fish feeding well. Still keeping up maintenance of my dt, corals are doing well, my nems are also good, but have noticed white spots on the back of the tank. Any idea what this could be? Have been scraping them off, but wondering if this is an indication of ich/velvet

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

No - those are not parasites. Ich and Velvet are too small to really see without a microscope. These are most likely spirorbid worms. they only become a nuisance if they get out of control:

Jay

OP
OP
J

jchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

No - those are not parasites. Ich and Velvet are too small to really see without a microscope. These are most likely spirorbid worms. they only become a nuisance if they get out of control:

Jay
Thanks Jay
I'll check it out

OP
OP
J

jchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay
I'll check it out
So just a follow up, can see some worm curled up and looks like the pics online.
But looks like something else has grown all over the glass
Doesn't look like worms, anyone know what they are?

Are they an issue?
Want to avoid as many issues during fallow period
20231121_182802.jpg

20231121_193636.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a follow up, can see some worm curled up and looks like the pics online.
But looks like something else has grown all over the glass
Doesn't look like worms, anyone know what they are?

Are they an issue?
Want to avoid as many issues during fallow period
20231121_182802.jpg

20231121_193636.jpg

Those are not parasites, they are free-living "pods", probably amphipods. They are part of the normal group of animals that develop in marine aquariums. In tanks where the fish are being overfed, they can increase in numbers because they eat uneaten fish food.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are not parasites, they are free-living "pods", probably amphipods. They are part of the normal group of animals that develop in marine aquariums. In tanks where the fish are being overfed, they can increase in numbers because they eat uneaten fish food.

Jay
Thanks Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back