Ich or Velvet??

Zestfullyclean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look to be more like Ich or Velvet? Added this Achilles that my LFS quarantined for me for four weeks and within two days he started showing signs. It’ll be a week tomorrow since I added him to the DT and he’s eating like a pig and acting healthy and not showing signs of heavy breathing or other issues but I realize that’s not going to be for long I’m sure. Trying to get a QT setup tomorrow to pull him and all the other fish to go Fallow for 6-8 weeks. Worried about doing this though and stressing all the fish to death. If it’s only Ich I’m almost thinking about trying to manage it in the DT which I get I’ll always have it in my system and most likely will loose fish but just not sure if I’m really prepared and experienced enough to catch all my fish out of a 180g tank and then to play vet for 6-8 weeks.

Would velvet have already killed and spread to every other fish? I have a white tail tang that looks the same as the Achilles now but all other fish are fine and not showing any signs of issues. The white tail tang is also not acting stressed and is eating a lot and acting normal from what I can tell.

1818E37E-DD94-4622-9802-C1B253B6BE96.jpeg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely ich.

If ur gonna QT him, then it doesn’t really matter since coppersafe or power will treat velvet and ich.

But what about other fish?

OP
OP
Z

Zestfullyclean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely ich.

If ur gonna QT him, then it doesn’t really matter since coppersafe or power will treat velvet and ich.

But what about other fish?
My white tail tang is showing issues similar. Gem tang and all other fish are not.

I’m on the fence on the QT. I hate saying that and know it’s wrong but I’m just a bit intimidated in figuring out how I’d catch all the fish without making things worse and stressing them all out to death.

Since they are all eating and not showing signs of being really affected by it should I just keep feeding heavy and try to manage it in the DT?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My white tail tang is showing issues similar. Gem tang and all other fish are not.

I’m on the fence on the QT. I hate saying that and know it’s wrong but I’m just a bit intimidated in figuring out how I’d catch all the fish without making things worse and stressing them all out to death.

Since they are all eating and not showing signs of being really affected by it should I just keep feeding heavy and try to manage it in the DT?
If you can’t qt then you need to be prepared to make some tough choices - fish or coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back