Ich or velvet

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted thinking I have a ich outbreak and lost a magnificent foxface and a cleaner wrasse. So now I have a coral beauty that is in hiding not eating when the lights are on. The fish have been in copper for 4 days now my clowns are still eating. I think it might be velvet please help...

Ammonia is negligible
Copper is at .5
Everything else is ok

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted thinking I have a ich outbreak and lost a magnificent foxface and a cleaner wrasse. So now I have a coral beauty that is in hiding not eating when the lights are on. The fish have been in copper for 4 days now my clowns are still eating. I think it might be velvet please help...

Ammonia is negligible
Copper is at .5
Everything else is ok

Picture would help in diagnosis.

Moved to fish disease treatment and diagnosis for more eyes to see.

OP
OP
01xp

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using cupramine there are no visible symptoms on the fish at all. Before qt there were white spots on their bodies and fins like ich. But even in the copper they seem to be getting worse. I just read on this forum that velvet can make them light sensitive so I unplugged the lights. The fox was just flushed couldn't see anything but his belly was all white he was stiff as a board

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using cupramine there are no visible symptoms on the fish at all. Before qt there were white spots on their bodies and fins like ich. But even in the copper they seem to be getting worse. I just read on this forum that velvet can make them light sensitive so I unplugged the lights. The fox was just flushed couldn't see anything but his belly was all white he was stiff as a board
Foxface’s go stiff when they sleep and also change all kinds of funny colours. Mine turns a kind of white and grey camo and almost seems to stand on his tail in a back corner within 20 minutes of lights out. I would say to let the copper work. Remember, the copper doesn’t kill the parasites inside the fish. The ich/velvet has to complete its life cycle in the fish and exit/drop off the fish as a tomont (picture egg or cocoon), the tomont leaves to a hard surface, where it grows new parasites and releases them to the water as free swimmers. It’s those swimmers that the copper kills. So yes, your fish might still be getting worse as they have to expel the remaining parasites in their bodies. It’s possible they may not survive it if they were already too infested. Hopefully that is t the case.

OP
OP
01xp

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks hopefully they live. The fox moved him around he wasn't sleeping I knew when was gone hopefully everyone gets better. The clowns still eating fingers crossed

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for secondary infections. I’ve got a wrasse in QT right now that just cleared up an ich outbreak, is still in hyposalinity then developed some kind of skin infection I think. Might be fungal, I’m not sure but he started getting worse again. So I’m treating for a fungal infection while in hypo and hoping he makes it.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip can help alleviate the symptoms, giving the copper more time to do its work. This is important, especially with fast acting parasites like velvet.

OP
OP
01xp

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have no idea what brought it out everybody was doing great then boom everyone was sick

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper lowers the fish's immune system. Bacterial infections are common. Be ready to treat with Spectrogram, or the trifecta of Furan2 + Metro + Kanaplex for 10-14 days. Feeding high quality foods + vitamins (prefer Beta Glucan) to boost immune system.

OP
OP
01xp

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I spoke to the lfs and he said it's most likely velvet. He said the clowns are pretty tanky and might survive but the angel good luck......

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back