Ich or velvet

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://youtube.com/shorts/1cM8Y0QlHic?feature=share A bit of a description she is behaving normally no swimming into flow of return eating normally breathing is kind of labored not really though and her size is about 2 inches she also has been like this for almost a week, and is progressively showing less and less spots maybe due to my uv…..sorry for the maroon in the way half the time, it’s a maroon she doesn’t care what we want lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
https://youtube.com/shorts/1cM8Y0QlHic?feature=share A bit of a description she is behaving normally no swimming into flow of return eating normally breathing is kind of labored not really though and her size is about 2 inches she also has been like this for almost a week, and is progressively showing less and less spots maybe due to my uv…..sorry for the maroon in the way half the time, it’s a maroon she doesn’t care what we want lol.
Unfortunately video is fuzzy and can’t see much but sounds like it’s in the right direction
Continue full 30 day treatment and maintain good water quality
Tang is showing thinness
Is it eating?

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately video is fuzzy and can’t see much but sounds like it’s in the right direction
Continue full 30 day treatment and maintain good water quality
Tang is showing thinness
Is it eating?
yeah its just one of the super skinny captive bred ones, i actually messaged you about this fish earlier in the week when i bought her like 6 days ago, im treating my entire display tank right now with cupramine just gotta continue raising it slowly have a few basselets and angels in here that are sensitive so i am taking it extremely slow

SteamReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah its just one of the super skinny captive bred ones, i actually messaged you about this fish earlier in the week when i bought her like 6 days ago, im treating my entire display tank right now with cupramine just gotta continue raising it slowly have a few basselets and angels in here that are sensitive so i am taking it extremely slow
Just a heads up, treating the display tank is not the ideal situation as live rock and substrate can absorb cupramine, which can lower the copper level. So just make sure you test your copper level routinely.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, treating the display tank is not the ideal situation as live rock and substrate can absorb cupramine, which can lower the copper level. So just make sure you test your copper level routinely.
yep twice a day once in morning once in night exactly 12 hours apart.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich or possibly mucus plugs. Is the tang the only one showing spots?

Have you noticed the spots remaining in the same place? Ich falls of the fish between 3- 7 days.

Velvet is a quick killer and heavy breathing is most certainly the first sign and since you stated its been this way for a week, I'd say its unlikely the culprit.

As mentioned its not best to use meds in display, just continue to test 2 x per day for the first week, and then once a day depending on the consumption as the rocks and substrate absorb the copper. Are you using a hanna checker for the copper test?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
https://youtube.com/shorts/TvcAMB3y9tM?feature=share https://youtube.com/shorts/H-apLBj2IQc?feature=share @vetteguy53081 give these a look when you get a chance please, I’m honestly thinking it’s possibly velvet and ich together
Ok - got home and went to my large screen Versus phone screen. With the size of the dots and location, my true feeling is Not ich, for sure not velvet but rather Lymphocystis which is associated with water quality and as mentioned dietary in which Both Tangs are thin. You did not mention if they were eating but im suspecting inadequate diet and water quality including ammonia-nitrate-ph and even salinity being off
Are you monitoring these as previously suggested and if so with what test kits and what are your readings?
Keeping in mind these are herbivores, flake and pellet foods will not nourish them and meet their needs for fats and aminos.
Being an iridovirus, they must have these needs met and lympho often confused with ich.

@Jay Hemdal - your thoughts ?

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - got home and went to my large screen Versus phone screen. With the size of the dots and location, my true feeling is Not ich, for sure not velvet but rather Lymphocystis which is associated with water quality and as mentioned dietary in which Both Tangs are thin. You did not mention if they were eating but im suspecting inadequate diet and water quality including ammonia-nitrate-ph and even salinity being off
Are you monitoring these as previously suggested and if so with what test kits and what are your readings?
Keeping in mind these are herbivores, flake and pellet foods will not nourish them and meet their needs for fats and aminos.
Being an iridovirus, they must have these needs met and lympho often confused with ich.

@Jay Hemdal - your thoughts ?
Yes I actually picked up the purple from petco and the scopas from saltwaterfish, they both are eating nori on a clip and have access to huge amounts of dragons breath algae at all times, eating mysis cubes and angel/butterfly mix cubes with chopped sponge in it two-three times a day and new life pellets once a day. Keep in mind this purple tang is about two inches long nose to tail. so the dots are actually quite small. Ammonia is of course not existent nitrate is less than 10 ppm and ph is 8.1-8.5 can’t tell u exact on that because I have a color coded test kit but can safely say it’s in the safe. Salinity is 1.023

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes I actually picked up the purple from petco and the scopas from saltwaterfish, they both are eating nori on a clip and have access to huge amounts of dragons breath algae at all times, eating mysis cubes and angel/butterfly mix cubes with chopped sponge in it two-three times a day and new life pellets once a day. Keep in mind this purple tang is about two inches long nose to tail. so the dots are actually quite small.
Despite its size, the dots are large and minus any dots on body but fins only suggest Lympho
Still looking for water quality numbers and diet inadequate. . literally all greens. Add:
Lrs fish frenzy or herbivore diet, formula 2 frozen, spirulina brine shrimp, small plankton at minimum and add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite its size, the dots are large and minus any dots on body but fins only suggest Lympho
Still looking for water quality numbers and diet inadequate. . literally all greens. Add:
Lrs fish frenzy or herbivore diet, formula 2 frozen, spirulina brine shrimp, small plankton at minimum and add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally
okay so question about that is fish frenzy just like a wide spectrum food meant to meet the needs of most fish all in one frozen food? I also saw a frozen cubes food that was straight sea weed

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
okay so question about that is fish frenzy just like a wide spectrum food meant to meet the needs of most fish all in one frozen food? I also saw a frozen cubes food that was straight sea weed
Frenzy - Yes
Green cubes would be on the same basis as formula 2

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind I’m less than a week into owning these fish so I can only fatten them up and correct my/who ever cared for the fish previously so much in a weeks time. I’m gonna go ahead and continue the treatment do a big water change while remembering about the copper, and will pick up some of the foods you suggested to me. my water quality is within normal levels for everything but salinity is a bit low at 1.023 but I’m keeping it there for oxygenation with copper

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind I’m less than a week into owning these fish so I can only fatten them up and correct my/who ever cared for the fish previously so much in a weeks time. I’m gonna go ahead and continue the treatment do a big water change while remembering about the copper, and will pick up some of the foods you suggested to me. my water quality is within normal levels for everything but salinity is a bit low at 1.023 but I’m keeping it there for oxygenation with copper

I'm not seeing Lymphocystis here the spots are in the wrong location and not as angular as they ought to be. If it was velvet, the fish would stop feeding and be breathing really fast. That leaves ich or mucus plugs. The spots look too large to be ich, but I've been fooled before with spots on a small fish seeming too large. As mentioned by @LAReefer4 the spots would come and go, and be in different numbers in different locations if it were ich. Mucus plugs show up on tangs due to some irritation, I'm not always sure what, but copper has been implicated - however, that may be a red herring, as these show up on new fish and copper is often used on new fish.

As long as you maintain the copper level, ich will go away, so I would focus on getting the fish bulked up - multiple feedings each day of high protein foods (go light on the algae/plant based material for now).

Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing Lymphocystis here the spots are in the wrong location and not as angular as they ought to be. If it was velvet, the fish would stop feeding and be breathing really fast. That leaves ich or mucus plugs. The spots look too large to be ich, but I've been fooled before with spots on a small fish seeming too large. As mentioned by @LAReefer4 the spots would come and go, and be in different numbers in different locations if it were ich. Mucus plugs show up on tangs due to some irritation, I'm not always sure what, but copper has been implicated - however, that may be a red herring, as these show up on new fish and copper is often used on new fish.

As long as you maintain the copper level, ich will go away, so I would focus on getting the fish bulked up - multiple feedings each day of high protein foods (go light on the algae/plant based material for now).

Jay
The spots are mostly gone this morning after having the same ones for 3-4 days. looks pretty good so far she has 8 spots on one side and two spots in her back fin and 4 spots on her forehead

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are mostly gone this morning after having the same ones for 3-4 days. looks pretty good so far she has 8 spots on one side and two spots in her back fin and 4 spots on her forehead
Ok, but if the spots return, that is pretty common to how ich behaves when the infection first starts up.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back