Ich, Velvet, Flukes on Hawk?

NekoTwilight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My Flame Hawk has developed some spots. I originally assumed flukes, but now not so sure. It almost looks like ich, but there are a few tiny thread like white worm-like appendages in a few spots on the fish's back (can't really see in photos). Otherwise, silvery / grey dots. Definitely lost some color.

My lemon-peel angel has also been picking at him - I assume he would only do this for flukes?

Any guidance? Want to treat ASAP.

Thank you!

EDIT: May be worth mentioning that my Mimic tang appears to be flashing occasionally

20230521_200131.jpg 20230521_200146.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My Flame Hawk has developed some spots. I originally assumed flukes, but now not so sure. It almost looks like ich, but there are a few tiny thread like white worm-like appendages in a few spots on the fish's back (can't really see in photos). Otherwise, silvery / grey dots. Definitely lost some color.

My lemon-peel angel has also been picking at him - I assume he would only do this for flukes?

Any guidance? Want to treat ASAP.

Thank you!

EDIT: May be worth mentioning that my Mimic tang appears to be flashing occasionally

20230521_200131.jpg 20230521_200146.jpg

Well darn, pictures don't always give definitive diagnoses. Do you see any white spots on the fins, or are they just on the body? Ich will show up on fins, while flukes rarely do.

Spots from ich will come and go in numbers and change location over a day or two.

If the tank doesn't have invertebrates in it, hyposalinity will handle both flukes and ich.

If the tank has invertebrates in it and you don't have a treatment tank to use, you would be pretty much relegated to dosing with praziquantel for flukes and hope that it isn't ich.

Jay

OP
OP
N

NekoTwilight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn, pictures don't always give definitive diagnoses. Do you see any white spots on the fins, or are they just on the body? Ich will show up on fins, while flukes rarely do.

Spots from ich will come and go in numbers and change location over a day or two.

If the tank doesn't have invertebrates in it, hyposalinity will handle both flukes and ich.

If the tank has invertebrates in it and you don't have a treatment tank to use, you would be pretty much relegated to dosing with praziquantel for flukes and hope that it isn't ich.

Jay

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll see if I can get a better photo / video tonight under white light and will pay attention to the fins.

No inverts or corals in this tank so hyposalinity in the display tank sounds like a good solution.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your reply. I'll see if I can get a better photo / video tonight under white light and will pay attention to the fins.

No inverts or corals in this tank so hyposalinity in the display tank sounds like a good solution.

If you do decide to try hypo, here is a post about it:

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back