Ich, Velvet, or Brooklynella?

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I woke up this morning and noticed my clowns were covered in fuzz. Even after a couple of hours of research on the web I can't narrow down if it might be ich, velvet, or brooklynella. It seems too fuzzy to be ich but this is the first time one of my fish are having issues like this in real life and pictures sometimes don't do it justice.

Parameters:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 3
Phos .03
Alk 9.5
PH 8.2
Salinity 1.025

I did a small 10% water change yesterday but nothing out of the ordinary. I do that every weekend. Only changes to stock was about a month ago when I put in two new Zoa frags and a royal gramma. Again that was 4-5 weeks ago. My corals and other fish look fine so far. Other than that nothing has changed. I started running a UV this morning so hopefully that helps.

So what do yall think? Velvet? Brooklynella? Ich? What treatments do yall recommend. Let me know if it would be helpful to add more pictures or a video.

ich.jpg
?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Brooklynella. The most obvious sign is the presence of the slime coat associated with brooklynella in addition to bacterial lesions either from brook and/or water quality and best treatment Will be ruby rally pro or quick cure if you can find any.
If clown is Not breathing rapidly, you can give it a 5 minute freshwater dip which will offer temporary relief but is not a treatment. Add aeration during treatment

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 2X concentration of Rally Pro for 90 minutes with success.

Dip at 2x concentration, for 90 minutes. Be sure to: (a) Temperature control the bath water by using a heater. (b) Provide plenty of oxygen by using an air pump + air stone. (c) Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of the dip/bath water matches the tank the fish is coming from.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using rally pro
Additional recommendations: Take fish from DT. Dip at 2x concentration, for 90 minutes. Be sure to: (a) Temperature control the bath water by using a heater. (b) Provide plenty of oxygen by using an air pump + air stone. (c) Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of the dip water matches the tank the fish is coming from. Then move fish into quarantine tank - same salinity, pH and temp as dip and DT for observation. QT should not be where the fish with Brook came from.

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my LFS is closed today. Thoughts on a freshwater dip today before I get get treatment materials tomorrow? Or will leaving them till tomorrow be okay?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I woke up this morning and noticed my clowns were covered in fuzz. Even after a couple of hours of research on the web I can't narrow down if it might be ich, velvet, or brooklynella. It seems too fuzzy to be ich but this is the first time one of my fish are having issues like this in real life and pictures sometimes don't do it justice.

Parameters:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 3
Phos .03
Alk 9.5
PH 8.2
Salinity 1.025

I did a small 10% water change yesterday but nothing out of the ordinary. I do that every weekend. Only changes to stock was about a month ago when I put in two new Zoa frags and a royal gramma. Again that was 4-5 weeks ago. My corals and other fish look fine so far. Other than that nothing has changed. I started running a UV this morning so hopefully that helps.

So what do yall think? Velvet? Brooklynella? Ich? What treatments do yall recommend. Let me know if it would be helpful to add more pictures or a video.

ich.jpg
?
A video would help with diagnosis. Ich and velvet require the same treatment, but Brooklynella requires a different approach. Some really basic diagnostics:

Velvet - rapid breathing and not eating. May see no spots at all.

Ich - still eating and normal breathing up until the end, many salt sized white spots.

Brooklynella - mucus sheets on skin and a general mopey attitude.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my LFS is closed today. Thoughts on a freshwater dip today before I get get treatment materials tomorrow? Or will leaving them till tomorrow be okay?
A FW dip will help buy some time if it is Brooklynella, less so for velvet and even less for ich.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great, I was about to ask about using rally pro. Thank you.
Rally is a reef pro treatment with agent used- acriflavine and I do not recommend 2X the concentration. It works slower but works and note will turn the water green for up to 48 hours which is normal. It will take a day to take effect but will address your issue.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't have a QT setup would the bath and return to DT be okay?
Not good. IF it is Brook, then you don't want to return the dipped fish back to the DT where the parasite is. So, don't perform the dip. Treat the DT (at normal concentration of Ruby Reef Rally Pro).

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, overnight my White Sleeper Goby died and the hermits all but disposed of it. Now my Royal Gramma Basslet has fuzz on it. I was under the impression that Brooklynella mostly just stuck to clowns. Is it possible that it spreading to the other fish means it is something else? Headed to the LFS for Rally Pro...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, overnight my White Sleeper Goby died and the hermits all but disposed of it. Now my Royal Gramma Basslet has fuzz on it. I was under the impression that Brooklynella mostly just stuck to clowns. Is it possible that it spreading to the other fish means it is something else? Headed to the LFS for Rally Pro...
Brook will kill all fish in the tank quickly, typically. Occasionally a fish with a strong immune system might survive. Your DT will need to be fallow for 76 days.

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This had to happen on a holiday when all my available cures were closed... hopefully the day delay isn't catastrophic

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm on day 4 since I noticed the brook on the clowns. Night 1 my White Sleeper Goby died and night 2 my Royal Gramma died. The clowns are looking less fuzzy, so hopefully that means they will make it. Their mannerisms seem fine and they are eating. Continuing to dose Rally Pro daily.

ReeferMadnessTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm on day 4 since I noticed the brook on the clowns. Night 1 my White Sleeper Goby died and night 2 my Royal Gramma died. The clowns are looking less fuzzy, so hopefully that means they will make it. Their mannerisms seem fine and they are eating. Continuing to dose Rally Pro daily.
I had great success with rally pro after losing my first clown to brooklynella and trying API general cure as well as prazipro. Dosed the main tank with ruby reef and had Kryptonite green water for 3 days during treatment but after the third day was almost fully recovered with bottom fins already growing back.

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week with Brook. Clowns still pretty fuzzy. Not looking great but then again they are still swimming around and eating. I ran out of rally pro yesterday, heading back to the LFS to get more. Will continue dosing daily till the clowns look better

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back