Ich, Velvet, or Brooklynella?

ReeferMadnessTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week with Brook. Clowns still pretty fuzzy. Not looking great but then again they are still swimming around and eating. I ran out of rally pro yesterday, heading back to the LFS to get more. Will continue dosing daily till the clowns look better
Do you have your skimmer off and carbon removed?

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help thus far.

Day 10 with Brooklynella. 2/4 fish have died. The remaining 2, clowns, are not looking great. They have been getting more tired, rapid breathing, no sign of mucus layer receding. Mucus is covering their eyes, they just host a spot in the sand. Eating, but less and less. Each day I think will be their last but they are holding on. Rally pro, while I'm sure it is technically reef safe, is starting to make my corals look terrible. They are dull, losing color, closing up, shrinking.

My question is this: is it worth continuing treatment on the clowns? from what I read, Brook treatment either works or it doesn't. Seems like 10 days in with no improvement suggests it might just be doomed for my clowns at this point. I don't want the fish to suffer if it'll just take them eventually anyway. I don't want to lose my coral due to a long dosing period of meds. Is it time to give up on Brooklynella treatment before I do more harm to my corals?

Thoughts? I might do one final high concentration bath and one more dose in the DT and see how things go.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help thus far.

Day 10 with Brooklynella. 2/4 fish have died. The remaining 2, clowns, are not looking great. They have been getting more tired, rapid breathing, no sign of mucus layer receding. Mucus is covering their eyes, they just host a spot in the sand. Eating, but less and less. Each day I think will be their last but they are holding on. Rally pro, while I'm sure it is technically reef safe, is starting to make my corals look terrible. They are dull, losing color, closing up, shrinking.

My question is this: is it worth continuing treatment on the clowns? from what I read, Brook treatment either works or it doesn't. Seems like 10 days in with no improvement suggests it might just be doomed for my clowns at this point. I don't want the fish to suffer if it'll just take them eventually anyway. I don't want to lose my coral due to a long dosing period of meds. Is it time to give up on Brooklynella treatment before I do more harm to my corals?

Thoughts? I might do one final high concentration bath and one more dose in the DT and see how things go.
Have you been high concentration dipping and dosing the tank at regular level all along? If not, I would certainly try that.

I wish formalin was more readily available, it works so much better than Rally Pro does……

Jay

OP
OP
Byrongw

Byrongw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns have succumbed to the brook. Now it's time for the fishless period and rebuild. I'll be investing in a QT setup for the future. Lesson learned. I wish the Rally Pro worked better. Thanks again, all, for your input.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back