Ich!!

tjohns1801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm having a issue i need some help with...i just introduced a powder brown tang to my tank he looked pretty good when I bought him...i do not have a qt tank but acclimated him with extra caution but it seems he may have had ich my other tank mates have developed it from him everyone was healthy until this incident is there anyway to rid it in this early stage? I'm using kordon ich attack right now hoping for the best all i have is a few polyps and a carpet anemone.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that medicine has copper in it then any imverts you have will probably die. The only other way is to set up a QT tank, medicate ALL fish in there or use hyposalinity (what I do). Leave the DT 100% fishless for 8-10 weeks so the ich goes through its lifecycle and does out.

onetire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may very well be an isolated case in my tank but my lfs recently turned me on to spectrum fish food . I had told him I can't keep a hippo tang alive have gone through about 5-6 mostly to ich . I have a yellow and kole tang that are very healthy and have been a long time . He sold me another hippo tang at half price and a jar of spectrum food and guaranteed it would live or he would replace the fish free . At my own amazement it's been almost a month and no ich and the fish is happy and healthy as can be . I have fed many foods over the years and even fed straight organic garlic to them to fight the ich as I read this is a good natural cure due to I have a mixed reef and can't add meds . I have to say I am 100% sold on this food my fish look healthier and I am everyday in shock that this tang is alive and healthy .

OP
OP
T

tjohns1801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is the spectrum food onetire and what exactly is it? And do you have a qt tank u put them in before moving to your display?

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed spectrum (I have like 4 different types lol). Not sure how much they were, maybe $10? But if you don't kill the ich then it will be in your tank forever, and more fish will get it and they will have it repeatedly. That is of course until the tank goes fishless for 8-10 weeks or you kill it with hypo (also 8 weeks) or copper medications.

OP
OP
T

tjohns1801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm just trying to do as much as I can with it to help until I can afford a qt tank just hoping they make it a few more weeks till I get outta high waters if you know wat i mean!

onetire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424725218.415828.jpg
the container he sold me is 12.99 for 4.4 oz there is many varieties at different prices . He also gave me a sample dish of their ich food that I only added a pinch once in the first week of feeding because I seen a small spot on the hippo that I'm not sure was even ich just cautious. No I do not quarantine I never have . I was never a fan of dry food I always fed rods food and other frozen mixes even including garlic and never results as clear as this AGIAIN in my personal situation . I was under the impression the lfs owner was just " trying to make a sale " but I am a believer after using it and seeing results of live healthy fish. Btw it is a reputable lfs with some of the nicest coral and fish selection around the area and it is the only food they sell / feed / believe in !

OP
OP
T

tjohns1801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Thanks alot onetire all i can do is try and hope for the best I suppose haha but I will let you know what comes of it

onetire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck !! I hope it works as well for u as it has for me !

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest reading this article: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/188775-ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.html

In addition to feeding NLS pellets (the Thera+ A are just garlic soaked pellets) - I would start soaking fish food with vitamin supplements such as Selcon, Zoecon and Vita-Chem. Also, feed lots of nori and start running a UV sterilizer if you can. But all of that may not be enough to save an Acanthurus tang, such as a Powder Brown. Those typically do not fare well battling external parasites long-term.

uppermost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your powder brown addition. I added one to my tank one time and it ended up with ich and died and the ich ended up killing all of my fish but my fairy wrasse. I will never add a Acan genus tang without quarantine from that experience

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 39 20.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 65 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back