Ick or velvet

Juliekerley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cowfish is covered in white yucky spot his eyes are foggy and the spots are on his eyes as well it kind of looks like velvet however none of the other fish have it I also have corals so I am going to quarantine him. He does not look good and the only pet store open right now is petsmart and may only carry API super ick will this work for salt water

OP
OP
Juliekerley

Juliekerley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cowfish is covered in white yucky spot his eyes are foggy and the spots are on his eyes as well it kind of looks like velvet however none of the other fish have it I also have corals so I am going to quarantine him. He does not look good and the only pet store open right now is petsmart and may only carry API super ick will this work for salt water

20200405_171853.jpg

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a photo, from description sounds like velvet. Bad news if it’s velvet your other fish a more than likely screwed

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like ich for sure. There may be velvet too. The coverage certainly appears velvet like but the spots are much larger than you would normally see. What other fish do you have? They don’t have any spots on them at all?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ich and or velvet, CP is your best choice for treatment. If not CP, then Cupramine has had some success but the key is to very slowly and in small doses spread out throughout the day to raise the copper up to therapeutic levels. Very slowly.

Bon Koo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as I know, it has velvet. All other fish would die as well. If I were you, I will take it out of the tank asap to raise chance to save other fish. Good luck

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's easy to catch, I would remove the cow fish to a separate QT tank, take a deep breath, and read up on velvet and ich treatment protocols in the fish disease forum. The parasite is almost certainly in your DT already, so you are going to have to make decisions on how to manage the DT. But for now I would get the cowfish out and read up.

OP
OP
Juliekerley

Juliekerley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like ich for sure. There may be velvet too. The coverage certainly appears velvet like but the spots are much larger than you would normally see. What other fish do you have? They don’t have any spots on them at all?
I have tangs, damsels, and corals. My hippo tang has spots as well but I cannot catch her and am unable to treat the big tank with copper. I pulled out the cowfish and put him.in qt and am.treating him with copper and the big tank with hydrogen peroxide as someone on here recommended. I just dont know what percentage of hydrogen to use. I'm using 3%. Any other suggestions?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not going to like my suggestion ...

You won't be able to treat your DT with anything effective that won't have truly negative effects on the future of your tank.

Put all your fish in a QT big enough to support them for more than 76 days. This is the recommended fallow period for Ich. If you were able to 100% confirm it's Velvet then that 76 days would be much shorter ( I think it's 42 days ).

It's not so difficult to remove fish. A 6" net and a hand are my first choice to catch fish. I just move slow and herd them towards the net. Slow is best for stress.
If that doesn't work, then you'll need to remove some rock and put it in a rubbermaid or such, then continue herding/catching fish.
The last resort is to remove some rock and then remove half to 3/4 of the water.

It's not so bad once you've done it a couple times. I've transferred tanks twice now and not lost anyone.

I have my Yellow Tang in a QT right now. The second time since October. He keeps wounding himself on corals and then getting an infection I can't cure in the DT.
My point is, ANY fish can be caught but sometimes you need to do more than you want to.

If need be, ask some friends for help. Nothing is beyond your abilities.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a velvet outbreak a few weeks back. Had never done a QT and was very nervous about it all.

Others are right once you start doing it, you will succeed and will reflect 'why was i nervous about that?'. Whether that's doing FW dips for first time, or setting up an emergency setup.

Once you are done; make a checklist and ensure all critical equipment is in place, on and correct readings for all involved systems.

I don't know whether this is velvet or ich, but for me I lost 3 fish in 12 hours. I don't know if the fact you haven't seen such a massive die off, if that supports the case for ich or if I just got a particularly bad velvet outbreak. It was horrifying how quickly things devolved.

My build thread has some details, and I posted some threads about my QT strategy. It wasn't the normal recommended method, but it was what i could practically do (or atleast felt I could do at the time). The tanks were reconnected week before last, and so far no losses on inverts. Additionally all fish which started the QT period survived without issue.

Good luck. Unfortunately not taking action now due to 'being your first time', you will likely regret later. Had I been better prepared, got over my self-consciousness/nervousness to do the needful quicker I may of been able to save more of the fish. Only regret I have from my experience was not taking decisive actions sooner once the first fish showed symptoms.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless, copper power to 2.0ppm in qt tank fast! Don’t ramp.

Bon Koo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tangs, damsels, and corals. My hippo tang has spots as well but I cannot catch her and am unable to treat the big tank with copper. I pulled out the cowfish and put him.in qt and am.treating him with copper and the big tank with hydrogen peroxide as someone on here recommended. I just dont know what percentage of hydrogen to use. I'm using 3%. Any other suggestions?
Try RO water bath for 5 mins. You can find out how to do it on youtube.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back