ICP-Analysis Results

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, hope your are well. I recently did my first ICP-Analysis (Mass Spec 55+ Elements). One thing that caught my eye is that they measured PO4 (Phosphate) at 0ppb. Their optimal is 300ppb which is .3ppm. I thought the reef target was .03ppm.

However, when doing this test my Hanna checker shows .26ppm, so I ran GFO and am now at .14ppm. Confused why the ppb showed up at 0. Should I stop GFO?

I don't want to chase #'s but trying to make sense of this before I harm my tank. I have been having coral die off and algae growth so was trying to get to the bottom of things.

Outside of the Phosphates, the test also noted the follow:
Cobalt (.19ppb) - ICP Target 9pbb
Iron (6.35ppb) - ICP Target 20ppb
Manganese (.94ppb) - ICP Target 10ppb
Nickel (.84ppb) - ICP Target 5ppb
Zinc (1.50ppb) - ICP Target 20ppb

I have turned my All For Reef back on to dose some trace elements back into the tank.

Appreciate any thoughts; for now I stopped my GFO reactor until I get a better understanding of these results and get my reef back on track and stop losing corals.

Appreciate your thoughts.

OP
OP
TheSeas

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, hope your are well. I recently did my first ICP-Analysis (Mass Spec 55+ Elements). One thing that caught my eye is that they measured PO4 (Phosphate) at 0ppb. Their optimal is 300ppb which is .3ppm. I thought the reef target was .03ppm.

However, when doing this test my Hanna checker shows .26ppm, so I ran GFO and am now at .14ppm. Confused why the ppb showed up at 0. Should I stop GFO?

I don't want to chase #'s but trying to make sense of this before I harm my tank. I have been having coral die off and algae growth so was trying to get to the bottom of things.

Outside of the Phosphates, the test also noted the follow:
Cobalt (.19ppb) - ICP Target 9pbb
Iron (6.35ppb) - ICP Target 20ppb
Manganese (.94ppb) - ICP Target 10ppb
Nickel (.84ppb) - ICP Target 5ppb
Zinc (1.50ppb) - ICP Target 20ppb

I have turned my All For Reef back on to dose some trace elements back into the tank.

Appreciate any thoughts; for now I stopped my GFO reactor until I get a better understanding of these results and get my reef back on track and stop losing corals.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Here is the full view for reference:
1666750115693.png

OP
OP
TheSeas

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have this issue that can help? Thanks!

OP
OP
TheSeas

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would really appreciate some help, if anyone has experience.

TodaysTrolling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone else has any comments. Curious if the test results were off. Just ordered one off Amazon.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of the company or its very high "recommended" level of 0.3 ppm phosphate as a target.

For folks not dosing trace metals, they are often low by ICP. That does not necessarily mean the tank will benefit from more, but using a trace element supplement (such as TM A and K) is a fine experiment to see if it is helpful.

Becks17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same thing happen to my last PO4 result. I had fed heavily in between tests in order to raise nutrients (from 51ppb), but now the latest test reads 0ppb. I was at MACNA where they described how much more sensitive their mass spec methodology is compared to the competitors, so I find it really unbelievable that it tested at 0.
I’ve done three tests so far through ICP-analysis and I’m now questioning how accurate they are. The values seem to be relatively all over the place from test to test.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results of this analysis are about as good as guessing yourself. Don’t trust it.

Completely agree with Randy. 0.3 ppm as a PO4 target is a bit high. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back