ICP results and advice requested

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first ICP back, thanks to ICP Analysis for handing out a ton of free tests at MACNA 2022.

To preface, the only thing I’m dosing is ALK via dosing pump at night. All this time, I figured I’d see a drop in Ca and that would prompt me to start dosing (if water changes weren’t keeping up), and the plan was to dose AFR

My Ca and Mg are fine but there are several trace elements that are low. My concern is if I start dosing AFR, I’ll be increasing those elements that are in the normal range. However, I have a little wiggle room regarding Ca and Mg and could stand a little of an increase and still be in range.

It seems to me that I have 3 options and I’d like some input from y’all.

1. More frequent water changes, and/or increase salinity. I currently mix Fritz blue box at 1.024, and I notice the parameters they list are higher than what I’m seeing (at least in ALK) so I’m thinking if I mixed the salt to spec, I might be closer to where I’d like to be. I haven’t really been consistent on water changes since my NO3 and PO4 are so low.

2. Start dosing AFR, and with a little trial and error, get the trace elements up, while hoping I don’t send Ca, Mg, and other elements through the roof.

3. Dose those individual elements that are lacking, using a method such as the Reef Moonshiners’ method.

To me, option 3 makes most sense. Replace what’s lacking. However, if it’s feasible that dosing AFR won’t terribly increase elements which are in normal range, that might be the easiest.
Of course whatever option, serial ICP tests will follow.

Please take a look at this and let me know what you think.

62F91685-B6B4-4567-A1C5-D42768D40990.png

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I choose the Reef Moonshine. You can adjust each individual element. I would bet if you were to punch your numbers into the moonshine calculator you would see that alot of them are low. In fact Andre rocomends manganese, chromium, and cobalt be dosed daily. Along with potassium. I don't see flourine listed on you results. Thats one that apparently is alway low in salt mixes acording to Andre.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of roads to Rome, and lots of people along those roads saying “this is the best way to get there”. lol

^ That statement couldn’t be more true.

I personally like to keep things simple. Keep salinity around 35ppt. 10% weekly water changes for trace elements.

Here’s what @Lou Ekus from Tropic Marin says about AFR dosing:

You can just use the calcium (or some people use the alkalinity) to regulate your AFR dose. Then if any one parameter is falling behind, do a periodic addition of that one thing. If you need extra magnesium we suggest using our Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium. If you need extra alkalinity you can use the Balling Part B solution. And if you need extra calcium you can use the Balling Part A solution. In general, these are usually small adjustments that are only needed once in a while. But your parameters will clearly tell you what is needed and when.

For nutrients, either feed more, reduce filtration, or dose the nutrients directly.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar place as you. Here is my thread with my ICP test results if you are curious : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-with-icp-test-results.945659/

I’m already using AFR, but obviously not in the right amount since I too, have many elements that need to be dosed.

Here is my plan so far :

1- do a 20% water change and increase salinity to 35 ppt (now at 33 ppt)

2- dose what is missing (there is a saltwater store not too far that reads ICP tests and makes a personalized mixture to address whatever is missing to bring it to ideal values)

3- dose AFR after ideal values have been reached. I read on their website to start dosing when your values are optimal. AFR does not raise values, it merely maintains them

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have high faith in this company, but here are my comments assuming alkl values are correct:

I do not see any reason to not use AFR if that is the way you want to supplement alk and calcium. Don't worry about calcium rising more. In fact, I'd personally boost it a bit before even starting the AFR. AFR contains about 2.8 dKH for each 20 ppm of calcium and, guessing here, maybe 1-2 ppm of magnesium. Thus, any reasonable alk boost is not going to push these through the roof (at least in the short to mid term).

You might see how the trace elements go with AFR, but using a trace element mix or individual trace elements is a fine plan.

Bear in mind that there is not, and CANNOT be (for several reasons related to the presence of different chemical forms with different bioavailability to different organisms), a single number for most trace elements that is optimal for all aquaria. You may have enough of some that are marked low.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back