ICP results: which elements to prioritize?

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I keep seeming to kill any SPS I've tried (including a birds nest that crashed and died after great growth), I saw that my nitrates and phosphates were both zero (from my old school days, I thought this was good, but now have learned better when it comes to corals!). My LPS and Zoas seem quite happy.

Since that time, I have increased feeding and used a few doses of Neo Nitrate - as of today, nitrate = 4.7 and phosphate = 0.05. Other parameters today: Trident Alk 9.04, Ca 462, Mg 1408. Salinity 34.5-35, pH 7.9-8.15 (CO2 scrubber). These are relatively stable. Tank 165 gal.

While I suspect these lack of nutrients (No3, PO4) were the main culprit, I sent an ICP test to see if there was a contaminant or major deficiency.

Not sure if these elements are contributing to issues so wanted feedback.

Seems a bit much to chase 9 element replacements but figured I'd ask which ones I should get to in priority. Seems to me that iron, iodine, manganese are ones I hear about commonly and these are quite low in my tank. I added in red the "Optimum value" from ICP-Analysis's suggestions.

Interesting side note, my Trident Ca and Mg readings are very close to the ICP results using ABC reagents instead of Neptune's reagents!

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 9.30.56 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 9.26.39 AM.png

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is to continue to make sure nitrates and phosphates are above zero. And, if you are doing water changes that are appropriate, don’t worry about the trace elements being low.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of that company for ICP, but We can try to answer assuming it is accurate. The "optimum" values noted are some persons opinion, not established fact.

It may be useful to add a trace element additive mix, such as Tropic Marin A and K. Strontium is not killing corals at that level and I'd ignore it.

I agree with getting N and P up, but it seems counterintuitive that this would be the cause of SPS issues while lps and soft corals are OK. I would not be sure the problem is an inorganic chemical at all.

OP
OP
C

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the replies. I was actually looking for a contaminant that was killing the SPS’s (for example I had a rusty magnet that I took out a while ago but wondered about lingering metals). I’ve been puzzled since my parameters, aside from zero nitrates and phosphates, otherwise seemed very good. I thought flow was good (2xWav pumps, 2xJebao MLW30, 1 Maxspect gyre 4000 in a 165 gal tank) and Neptune Sky lights (300+ par at the top).

My working hypothesis was that the SPS corals were doing well for a while but eventually starved as the nitrates and phosphates bottomed out. I’m moving forward and retrying some SPS now and watching these closely.

@Randy Holmes-Farley I’m currently using the standard BRS 2 part plus BRS Magnesium with Trident controlled Alk and Ca dosing and Mg via a BRS dosing pump which has maintaining the above levels.

If I do go for trace supplementation would you suggest I add the Tropic Marin A and K into the BRS Calcium and Alk solutions as their “hybrid” Balling approach? I’ve been confused about the BRS hybrid: it seems to imply you use a magnesium solution AND a Tropic Marin part C - this seems like a doubling of Mg supplement. To my eye it should be just 3 parts:
1. BRS alk (soda ash) +/- Tropic Marin K
2. BRS Calcium +/- Tropic Marin A
3. Tropic Marin C dosed at 2x the Alk infusion rate

or am I missing something? I have really been considering trying the Balling hybrid but this was a stumbling block.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back