ICP test consistently shows low sodium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is sodium directly related to salinity? If so, why am I getting a low NA reading two months in a row when my tank is at 1.025/6 checked by two different sources? The Triton help/dose section of the ICP results don't say how to correct this so not quite sure what to do here.
Capture.PNG

Thanks

Last edited:

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d ask this in the chemistry section, salt water is made up of lots of different elements Na being only one, it’s quite likely that the other elements average out to give you a correct sg

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinty is made up of all of them, some like Mg contribute more to salinity than Ca.

That is likely a function of your salt mix. On some mixes with highly elevated Mg and Ca at normal salinty, this implies other things like Na or K will be lower

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. My Mg and CA are within normal ranges. What do you mean by all of them - is salinity comprised of just NA, CA and MG or are you referencing additional elements as well? So if salinity is normal does a low NA reading really matter? Thanks

Capture.PNG

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly in triton ICP the first section is the main constituents of salt water... think there’s about 10 in the section including potassium, sulphate, strontium, but I would ask in the chemistry section where it will be seen

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have consistently low sodium levels on ICP's. When I've asked previously, there hasn't been any required mitigation issues, but I'm curious as to how this might affect reef organisms and if there's a point where action is required and what that action might be.

@Tim2@Triton - Any comments/advice welcome

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out my salinity was in fact low at about 1.023/4. Found my digital refractometor to be over reading. Also confirmed via ATI ICP test which measures salinity. They had me at 31.98 ppt with the same water that generated these results.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back