OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals is a super common salt. Not likely going to be the source of the absurdly high Bromide. Nor is a salt mix the reason for low salinity.

Actually the most informative thing you could do would be to mix up a salinity standard.
see Randy's article... http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php
Make a standard according to the article, mark it on your swing arm hydrometer (or whatever you use) and then measure your system water.

My guess is that you are like 25% low in salinity, Reef Crystals mixes a little higher in Ca and Mg, so those don't look as bad as the others. This would explain most of the elements, give or take 10% (but not Bromine).
I'm using a brand new and calibrated Hannah marine salinity tester. I hope I'm not low on salinity or I'm totally out of my element. I'll definitely make a standard so I can get on the right page with all this.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrated them both today, old and new, but they aren't as accurate as the Hannah digital refractometer. But not so far off I'd have sg that low, imo.

Sorry I missed this earlier.
Based on your calibrations, do you think that your tank water salinity was low (even if not the ~20% or whatever low that the ICP results suggested) ?

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed this earlier.
Based on your calibrations, do you think that your tank water salinity was low (even if not the ~20% or whatever low that the ICP results suggested) ?
Honestly, no. I have 3 different "tanks" and they all read the same on all my testing equipment. But, I could be totally wrong as I really feel sometimes like I don't have a clue what I'm doing! You know when you come home with your first fish and they host the top off your overflow where they can't be seen! UGH! lol. I sent out new tests on Monday so we'll see what it says.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the new round of test results I received today. There was a 4th test, my tap water, that didn't get done, I'm assuming? First is my 120, second is my 40B qt tank that's only been cycling for 3 weeks and the last is my rodi. Tank looks great, I have fish in it and pink spots growing on the rocks, so somethings happening! I haven't even looked at these yet because I'm nervous! Fingers crossed! I'll go relax and hopefully come back to a better peer review than the first results!

Attachments

• 12021822.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 40B21822.pdf
    14.1 KB · Views: 40
  • RODI21822.pdf
    10.4 KB · Views: 34

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First is my 120, second is my 40B qt tank that's only been cycling for 3 weeks and the last is my rodi.
actually, first file is the same test you posted at the beginning of the thread, second one is from 2 years ago(?) and 3rd is RoDi which doesn't have any of the main problems in common with your tank.
So no new helpful info there :)

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, first file is the same test you posted at the beginning of the thread, second one is from 2 years ago(?) and 3rd is RoDi which doesn't have any of the main problems in common with your tank.

These are all new tests from 2/13/22 that just got sent to me. First is my 120, the 2nd is my 40b QT tank and last is rodi. EDIT: I just went and looked at them, Here's the current 120. Not sure why my new results aren't showing for my 40b? The 4th test I sent in shows an error when I try to view it? I'm not to thrilled for the money I've spent on these and not to mention looking goofy for posting the wrong tests!

Attachments

• Test583256790_Results.jpeg
    Test583256790_Results.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 42

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the new attachment is the same tank as the one posted in the post?

Assuming you did not do a 100% water change, they did screw up the first one.

Bromine dropped from 873 ppm to 124 ppm. Not sure if either is correct, but I am sure it didn't drop that much.

Salinity has gone from low (chloride = 13,000 ppm) to very high (chloride = 23,000 ppm. Not sure if either is correct.

Could salinity have gone from super low to very high? Would mean massive salt additions or water changes.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the new attachment is the same tank as the one posted in the post?

Assuming you did not do a 100% water change, they did screw up the first one.

Bromine dropped from 873 ppm to 124 ppm. Not sure if either is correct, but I am sure it didn't drop that much.

Salinity has gone from low (chloride = 13,000 ppm) to very high (chloride = 23,000 ppm. Not sure if either is correct.

Could salinity have gone from super low to very high? Would mean massive salt additions or water changes.
I heard back from icp-testing.com, they said one of my samples was mislabeled. So I got an apology? To me, that means all of the results are suspect. But I'm part of the problem as well. I just took a screen shot to simplify this for all parties involved. First is my 120, 2nd is my rodi, 3rd is city water. I guess when I looked at the results and downloaded them, I was on previous tests? I do apologize, I'm getting the hang of this, I think! Hopefully what I have provided will clear things up? I'm working on my temps, had my inkbird set higher in advance of my basement "feeling" chilly. The heaters I have are doing more than enough. I got some old glass thermometers for reference. My temps were high. Might be the reason I couldn't make the salinity standard come out to 35ppt, I got 40ppt? Look forward to hear back and see if I'm actually on the right path. I do appreciate the time and help! Thank you R2R!

Screenshot (1).png Screenshot (2).png Screenshot (3).png

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first results show low salinity. Your new ones show high salinity. You've now gone through multiple salinity measuring devices.
I'd take your water to a LFS, get them to check salinity. That can be settled without ICP

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first results show low salinity. Your new ones show high salinity. You've now gone through multiple salinity measuring devices.
I'd take your water to a LFS, get them to check salinity. That can be settled without ICP
Took water in to LFS this afternoon and everything was fine.
PH 8.0
ALK 9
Cal 480
Mag 1150

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's a relief.
Breathe easy, and if you do more ICP tests, I personally would use a different vendor. They keep finding absurd things in your water.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's a relief.
Breathe easy, and if you do more ICP tests, I personally would use a different vendor. They keep finding absurd things in your water.
unfortunately, I've got 4 more left from ICP-Analysis.com. I might just use them and see what wonderful results they yield?

NatsRams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve sent a few samples to ICP-Analysis. For the most part I’m not impressed with the information they provide. My test results seemed to indicate all is good, but without any indication of quality control I have no idea of the reliability of the results. For example, how accurate are the data? Do they test their methods on reference materials for us to be confident the numbers they tell us are accurate? We could end up chasing our tails and possibly spending a lot of money based on inaccurate results. That isn’t good. Then there is precision. If they split a sample and analyze them separately, do the results for the spit samples match within reason? They should. But if they don’t, then the lab is sloppy. Based on some of the discussion in this thread, I’d be worried about precision. I asked ICP-Analysis once about their quality control and heard nothing in return. Perhaps they do have some QA/QC, but unless they publicize it I’m not spending any more money for their analysis.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent a sample of my rodi water and this is what I got! Is this "better" now?

Attachments

• Test369292416_Img.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 29
Back