ICP test: sulfur

Wesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my ICP-analisys test results and sulfur level is sky high at 43584.26 ppm compared to about 1100 ppm in NSW. My salinity was too high due to expired calibration solution at 38 ppm, but I don't think this can be reason for this high sulfur level. I'm using AF reef salt and AF component 1+2+3+ KH8.5-9, Calcium 458 ppm (icp) and magnesium 1570 ppm (icp)
What can make sulfur this high?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my ICP-analisys test results and sulfur level is sky high at 43584.26 ppm compared to about 1100 ppm in NSW. My salinity was too high due to expired calibration solution at 38 ppm, but I don't think this can be reason for this high sulfur level. I'm using AF reef salt and AF component 1+2+3+ KH8.5-9, Calcium 458 ppm (icp) and magnesium 1570 ppm (icp)
What can make sulfur this high?

I don't think the test is right. We had a thread awhile back where someone had completely bogus sulfur levels from ICP-Analysis.com. Did you happen to use them? I'll update the thread when I find the old post. I think someone commented that sulfur would only be that high if you were topping off your tank with hydrochloric acid :)

Edit: Updated with link. Note his values were 270x normal while your's are 40x. However given the past problems, I think the issue is with ICP-Analysis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wesus

Wesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this thread. I hope it is error, but error like this defeats purpose of whole test. If I cannot trust one result, other could be off too

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this thread. I hope it is error, but error like this defeats purpose of whole test. If I cannot trust one result, other could be off too
Agreed. I will not be doing any more testing with ICP-Analysis. I don't think we've seen this problem with Triton. With Triton shortly opening up a US approved lab, that should help.

Back