ICP test worry?

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Triton ICP back and it shows everything is just about spot on the money but my sulphur is pegged in the red.
Normal at 900 ml/l and its at 1524.00 ml/l

Is this because of my RODI water? I have a 4 stage and all the filters are fairly new and im getting 0 TDS out of it.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is high Sulphur even anything to worry about? All the other parameters are almost spot on perfect. The only reason I did the test was just to check out the ICP tests and what they were about.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Triton ICP back and it shows everything is just about spot on the money but my sulphur is pegged in the red.

Is this because of my RODI water? I have a 4 stage and all the filters are fairly new and im getting 0 TDS out of it.
Which salt mix and had you just performed a water change?

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which salt mix and had you just performed a water change?
Plain old IO salt and I do weekly 10% changes. Water change was a week prior to the test sample being sent. I did a WC the day after the test was sent. Also nothing was fed into the tank for almost 24 hours to avoid food throwing of the sample readings.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is high Sulphur even anything to worry about? All the other parameters are almost spot on perfect. The only reason I did the test was just to check out the ICP tests and what they were about.

Sulfate is the third must abundant ion in seawater by weight, after sodium and chloride.

It may be test error. To be that elevated requires either a salt mix way out of spec, or a huge amount of sulfate dosing.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I do not dose anything.

Thanks! I was getting worried about that.

The only options then are a botched test (I’d ask Triton to check that it’s not a simple reporting error or something) or the salt mix is off.

I would not do anything about it until you hear back from Triton, then maybe contact the salt retailer if Triton claims it’s real.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t panic, check the subsequent ICP trends. Sulfur can be temporarily elevated after Magnesium corrections with certain supplements.

Have you made any magnesium corrections recently?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have brought my Mag up using Brightwell liquid.
Even using pure Epsom salt (highest possible sulfate to mag ratio) a 1524-900 = 624 ppm rise in S as sulfate would require an addition of 473 ppm of magnesium.

Reef Labs Inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the measurement is accurate, this is usually the result of using an additive that is formulated only from the sulfate form of the metal salt or salts in the additive. Magnesium additives and two part solutions are usually the culprits. However, obtaining accurate sulfur measurements using ICP-OES analysis is difficult as this element presents a number of challenges. In our lab, we employ specific methods to allow for an accurate measurement of Sulfur as well as additional QA during the testing process. My recommendation would be that you test again to determine if this measurement is accurate before spending more time on it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back