ICP Testing Results-Trace Element Depletion Discussion

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t seen a discussion on trace element depletion seen in multiple ICP tests. (If you know of any feel free to link them.)

Thought it would be good to hear people’s results and thoughts for us to try to work out which elements corals are using.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say what elements are particularly being used since we tend to have such a massive variety of organisms. We tend to congretate corals into groups in this hobby that hold no real scientific significance. There are some that we know for sure play important roles and are depleted quickly such as iron, but much less certainty on others. Red sea tried to make this easy by saying dose 1ml of the trace to 10ml of their calcium. Some salts add what they find in sea water, others contain what is believed to be used by corals and nothing else.

OP
OP
G

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that is why I raised the discussion to see if ICP results can shed any light on what is being consumed.

It is hard to say what elements are particularly being used since we tend to have such a massive variety of organisms. We tend to congretate corals into groups in this hobby that hold no real scientific significance. There are some that we know for sure play important roles and are depleted quickly such as iron, but much less certainty on others. Red sea tried to make this easy by saying dose 1ml of the trace to 10ml of their calcium. Some salts add what they find in sea water, others contain what is believed to be used by corals and nothing else.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron, manganese, zink and vanadium are element we add regulary, but almost never see (we get zero) on our ICP tests.
Iodine is used/disappears quite fast, but can be kept stable if finding the right dosage. It will probably be depleted if not added in a reef tank.

What is consumed and what disappears in other ways I don't know.

OP
OP
G

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron, manganese, zink and vanadium are element we add regulary, but almost never see (we get zero) on our ICP tests.
Iodine is used/disappears quite fast, but can be kept stable if finding the right dosage. It will probably be depleted if not added in a reef tank.

What is consumed and what disappears in other ways I don't know.

Thanks for your valued input! It's interesting to see what elements need replenishing in a system. Looking forward to seeing what other elements others have noticed depleting too.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that is why I raised the discussion to see if ICP results can shed any light on what is being consumed.

I find icp more useful for seeing what is too high and what is not present in our tanks vs how much we our using in our tanks.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back