ICP Testing Services

reeFnerD#38401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of the companies offering these services publish their QC program details? Do any participate in an interlaboratory proficiency testing program to improve the quality of their testing results? If so, please let me know so I can begin using their services. I'm really tired of unreliable, non-repeatable test results.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of the companies offering these services publish their QC program details? Do any participate in an interlaboratory proficiency testing program to improve the quality of their testing results? If so, please let me know so I can begin using their services. I'm really tired of unreliable, non-repeatable test results.
Great questions. I think ICP test results can be quite variable and the only thing to do is rethink how you can use such noisy data. To put this challenge in perspective, if the Hanna Checker gave such noisy results, they would be no more :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For that QA requirement level, you cannot expect the costs hobby companies typically charge (IMO).

My company frequently uses outside labs for chemical analysis of various sorts, and the cost of a single element in a sample is typically more than the entire cost of a hobby seawater ICP test.

OP
OP
R

reeFnerD#38401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that QA requirement level, you cannot expect the costs hobby companies typically charge (IMO).

My company frequently uses outside labs for chemical analysis of various sorts, and the cost of a single element in a sample is typically more than the entire cost of a hobby seawater ICP test.
Then the results are mostly useless, and you might as well rely upon the hobby level test kits.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best regards,
Christoph

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome reefnerd.
Unfortunately I can't afford 100 different test kits, so every 3 months or so, I get an icp done, and trust the results to a certain extent.
Much more cost effective than owning many test kits, even if they exist(ed).

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the results are mostly useless, and you might as well rely upon the hobby level test kits.
But people aren’t using icp for the parameters that are available to test through hobby level test kits. So I don’t think it’s useless at all. Plus many people follow dosing regimens that require icp and by most accounts I’ve read the data provided is quite valuable. What is your overall concern/issue?

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used several ICP companies and recently I sent in water samples with the cheaper US-based option ICP-analysis.com and the more trusted Triton Labs. From what I found, there were a few inconsistencies between the two and for elements I can test, Triton more accurately reflected results I could test for. Also, ICP-Analysis had a few results I couldn’t test for that seemed unreasonable which Triton did not have.

if you’re just looking for a recommendation, I’d say pay the extra and go with Triton.

OP
OP
R

reeFnerD#38401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But people aren’t using icp for the parameters that are available to test through hobby level test kits. So I don’t think it’s useless at all. Plus many people follow dosing regimens that require icp and by most accounts I’ve read the data provided is quite valuable. What is your overall concern/issue?
I recently received the results of an ICP test which showed Phosphate concentrations in ppm in the RO/DI water. Being very concerned, I contacted the company and they admitted there was a problem with their testing results. So, I prepared two more samples and sent them in. Both the RO/DI and the tank water supposedly tested zero, yes zero, phosphates and phosphorus in both the tank water and the RO/DI. That is unbelievable and I think the numbers were simply made up. If I can't trust basic results such as this, how could I trust any of their data whether it be for trace elements or other parameters.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe. I don't see how the things you suggest are required for accuracy, but they may be useful to assure you or other users they are accurate.

FWIW, not all ICP companies are equivalently trustworthy, IMO.

Back