ICP tests show a number elements as continually elevated? Where should I be looking to correct this?

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my icp results from reef labs. I got high barium and cesium. I use red sea blue bucket. Red sea trace colors with red sea aminos in using red sea 2part dosed through a red sea doser in a red sea tank.. lol so I'm getting the same results. I'm wondering if red sea products are as good as they once were.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see a reason to be concerned about those at those levels. I would do nothing.

Don't fall for the trap that if ICP says it is high or low, something must be done. :)
Hey randy. We spoke about this earlier today on another thread. This sounds exactly what is going on with me. I use all red sea products. Their salt blue bucket. Their 2pat and trace colors. So this information tells me where these high elements are coming from. I won't worry about it but I will monitor closely to see if these elements continue to rise.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as the title says, my ICP tests are routinely showing the following as elevated:

Barium 0.047 mg/l
Litium 0.262 mg/l
Manganese 0.003 mg/l
Rubidium 0.433 mg/l
Selenium 0.010
Aluminum 0.027
Cesium 0.055 (allegedly this is common with red sea salt users)

So it's not a one off thing, but a consistent pattern of elevated elements which seems out of place. Especially the Selenium.

The tank has a total system volume of around 135 gallons and is only SPS. Things have not been going well as of late.

The water source has one sediment, three carbon blocks, one RO membrane, and three DI cartridges (Anion, Cation, Mixed bed). I've tested the RODI water and it's pretty much devoid of everything except for a little bismuth (0.005) which oddly enough doesn't show up in my tank water results.

I do 15% water changes weekly and use the following products:

Red Sea Blue Bucket Salt
Red Sea Alk, Ca, and Mg liquid
Red Sea Trace Colors A, B, C, D dosed according to Ca
Acropower (25ml/day)
Ocean Nutrition Green and Blue fish food pellets
One or two cubes of frozen food 5 days per week

I'm considering ICP'ing a freshly mixed batch of blue bucket water and Acropower to see what's in them. Maybe the Trace Colors (D) as well...

Red Sea says what's in A, B, and C... But is a little vague with D saying it has 18 trace elements in it but only lists 4. I've asked what the rest are and they won't tell me.

The Iron supplement has Manganese and Aluminum in them which could explain them being elevated, but then again I'm only about halfway in range for the actual Iron and at the top of the range for Copper. And while it has Zinc in it, I'm completely deficient in Zinc. Ugggh....

All the magnets look ok. I had one probe holder that was a little "meh", but it hadn't ruptured yet and I swapped it a while back...

Thoughts on where to begin and what I should do next?
This is happening to me right now. I have all the same elevated levels. And I use the same products you use.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey randy. We spoke about this earlier today on another thread. This sounds exactly what is going on with me. I use all red sea products. Their salt blue bucket. Their 2pat and trace colors. So this information tells me where these high elements are coming from. I won't worry about it but I will monitor closely to see if these elements continue to rise.

It's a reasonable hypothesis. Neither barium nor cesium is very toxic, so unless there's some problem to explain, I would not agonize over it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back