ICP TIN - Is this the cause?

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I find the leaching Tin culprit?

Icp came back with 18 TIN reading. Huge long time bubble coral dying and clove star dying, but sps continue to thrive.

2 months ago I added a more powerful Sicce Voyager pump in the return chamber to help with precipitation problems.

The Sicce came with the plastic busted in the middle where the whale is and magnet is within. This is the only thing I could think of that would cause problem and the only change from my last ICP besides swapping out an ecotech M2 for Abyzz return.

I swapped the broken magnet out with my pump on my mixing station. And going to do a few 15% water changes over the next week and a half. Along with my standard weekly 10%

can Tin come from sicce magnets?

9422B116-F025-47B9-B7A2-0C1AB45FE780.jpeg

OP
OP
Cjeippert

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be.

Tin can also come from tubing where it is used as a stabilizer.
With my return pump came a new 2ft run of braided vinyl tubing from ace hardware. I do have a new silicon tube I planned to swap the vinyl out with. Wonder if that has Tin too.

Well, this reinforces the benefits of doing regular weekly water changes to dilute these unwanted elements.

do you think brightwell pure it or carbon or some other media might assist with the removal of tin?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cjeippert

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy. I realized a couple sections of my plumbing about 4 feet in total have braided vinyl tubing from ace hardware. I noticed my other tubing from brs kuri tec says food grade on it. After some research, i found out this food grade tubing is far safer for a reef tank. I will replace these sections of tubing with kuri tec K3150 and test again in a month

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food grade does not rule out tin. it's not necessarily a cheapo additive used only in low cost stuff.

" Certain compounds, in particular octyl tin derivates, have a very low toxicity and good migration resistance in rigid PVC, making them suitable and sanctioned by most national legislations as stabilizers for PVC in food contact applications or for potable water pipes and fittings."

Upvote 2

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back