ICP Water test: Can you test Chlorine & Chloramines?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because I don't see them listed in your test system. But all over the US, more and more people are getting hit heavily by Chloramines -- Many of these people either had much lower levels, or none, suddenly to find they have a high amount.

All around Southern California, people have been having problems. I'd be surprised if other area's had no issues with this.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great question Rakie, I have sent a message to Dr Ben Funk at ATI Germany to see what he says about this. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! This is the kind of test that could save someones reef someday. It would also let us know if our chloramine filters in our RODI units need to be replaces -- Or are just not of high quality.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie we currently test for chlorine in the form of cl- but cannot currently test for chloramines with the existing setup.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie we currently test for chlorine in the form of cl- but cannot currently test for chloramines with the existing setup.

Thank you! I thought I'd ask since I had read the ICP machines can test *anything* and can always add more testing criteria (if properly setup). Seems if you took a simple request for what people would want tested, you'd probably run into a lot of customers looking for unique things, separating you from the competition by miles.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I thought I'd ask since I had read the ICP machines can test *anything* and can always add more testing criteria (if properly setup). Seems if you took a simple request for what people would want tested, you'd probably run into a lot of customers looking for unique things, separating you from the competition by miles.

While I am not the PHD and I really don't know all the in's and out's of this I can promise this is not true. This is why our competition does not test for things like alkalinity and salinity because the machine doesn't test for it. ATI uses multiple devices to perform all the tests that are performed including ICP, lab grade titration and more.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because I don't see them listed in your test system. But all over the US, more and more people are getting hit heavily by Chloramines -- Many of these people either had much lower levels, or none, suddenly to find they have a high amount.

All around Southern California, people have been having problems. I'd be surprised if other area's had no issues with this.

FWIW, any cheapo chlorine kit will suffice to test the Ro/DI effluent to see if there is any concern from chlorine or chloramine.

Chloramine and the Reef Aquarium - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.htm

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am not the PHD and I really don't know all the in's and out's of this I can promise this is not true. This is why our competition does not test for things like alkalinity and salinity because the machine doesn't test for it. ATI uses multiple devices to perform all the tests that are performed including ICP, lab grade titration and more.

@ATI North America -- Interesting! The Triton guy at Macna said the ICP machine can be setup to test for anything, so long as it's properly calibrated. Maybe that's the specific ICP machine they have, or maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. Both are possible, oops!

@Randy Holmes-Farley -- You are correct. But I meant it for those who wouldn't/aren't testing for those substances. Not long ago in the RC SoCal area, we had been having an increase in Chloramines, and most people were unaware of the issue until they tested for it. One guy was having lots of problems with his SPS, but just kept saying "nope, I don't have them", they aren't in my cities water, and refused to test... Even though people in his city were reporting them. Finally, after exhausting everything and losing SPS he came back and said "oh I have chloramines" as if he just made the discovery for himself.. That really made me question things.

How many times have we seen people thinking they have X, Y or Z problem, then refusing to buy the $15 test kit because they'd only use it once, and it might not solve the issue? I've seen that a lot, myself. Hell, I didn't want to blow $20 on a silicates test myself for the same reason, I'm just as guilty.. But more and more people are jumping on the "Get an ICP test" band wagon, which is a great thing! But if the test isn't testing for obscure little problems -- We might not get that answer.

But seeing the Triton guys speech at MACNA made me wonder how easy/useful it would be to add some of those other obscure issues that may not come up. Further, we could use the data (though anecdotal) to make a database of problems people have noticed corresponding to test results -- For instance, lets assume someone says "All my SPS are turning green", and people with that problem typically test have high Iron, and high Lithium -- We know that high Iron can make corals green, but maybe we just discovered that high lithium may also be a culprit.

So taking into account the complaints people have before the test (SPS turning green, LPS shriveling up and dying, etc etc), and using the Data from ICP tests itself.. We may be able to create an anecdotal database of cause/effect. Furthermore, we could also start building a hotspot database for which issues are present in what waters. This information can be found already, but not in an all in one site. And all we have to do is gather the data into one spot to make this happen -- Most the work is already done.

Sorry, it's a long comment... Do any #reefsquad #spsexperts have any thoughts on this? Or @mdbannister @revhtree for that matter? This could be an inclusive data gathering R2R thing.

olson2886

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley i see you guys sell the lamotte freshwater test strips at BRS, but am curious if there is any low cost alternative I could use to test my actual tank water. I’ve heard chloramines don’t ever really leave the system and am curious if in the past I could have introduced some after being lazy about changing rodi filters, etc. I’d obviously like to test my RODI, but would like to take it a step further and check the tank too. Assuming the tank does test positive for either chlorine or chloramines would adding some prime be a safe solution? Thanks!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back