ID and possible treatment please.

Kaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys and Gals,
Last Tuesday I did purchase a six line wrasse. He looked fine, but after 1 day I noticed a 2mm white spot in his body. He is not shy and swim a lot,no scratches, no flashing, no tiny white points, eat like a pig(since day one, I am feeding mysis soaked with selcon).
Hope he gets better.
1465692269572.jpg

Sorry for the pic quality

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a closer pic would be nice. Could be lymph, but also could be an infection setting in. How long as he had this? You spotted it on his second day with you, so how long has it been there since you first saw it and has it gotten bigger/worse?

OP
OP
Kaway

Kaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try take a better pic.
I did notice that in the second day with me (3 days ago ), and was already this size.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try take a better pic.
I did notice that in the second day with me (3 days ago ), and was already this size.

Ok so it's been 3 days and it hasn't changed size or gotten worse/better in that time? Just making sure I'm clear on this part.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right, didn't change.

So, the way I see it, you can go at this two different ways. You can take the "wait and see" approach. Just watch him and see what happens. If it falls off in another couple days, gets bigger or doesn't change at all, or if it starts to get worse, then we will have more info to go off of. (add vitamins to his food if you dont already... things like selcon or vitachem)
OR, you can go ahead and start dosing his food with kanaplex and focus and see if it reacts to the antibiotics. It would be slow going this way and would be faster doing it in a QT and dosing the water.

Unless @Humblefish has some other insights here of course.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see a closeup pic before making a possible diagnosis.

OP
OP
Kaway

Kaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already adding selcon to his food.
If I decide to go with kanaflex, how to dose it ? He is in a 20g aio with 3 snails, some sand and live rock. This is not my main tank, so I can mess a bit.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I decide to go with kanaflex, how to dose it ? He is in a 20g aio with 3 snails, some sand and live rock. This is not my main tank, so I can mess a bit.

You can dose Kanaplex directly into the water, but it might kill your snails. Dose 1 measure (included) every 48 hrs and keep going for 10 consecutive days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already adding selcon to his food.

Before you do that, let's see if you can get a closer picture. Just in case ;)

OP
OP
Kaway

Kaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose Kanaplex directly into the water, but it might kill your snails. Dose 1 measure (included) every 48 hrs and keep going for 10 consecutive days.
After all, doing water changes and running carbon, this medicine will go away?

OP
OP
Kaway

Kaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for all help, I will update his condition in a couple days. Hope he gets over that.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all, doing water changes and running carbon, this medicine will go away?

Antibiotics doesn't really get absorbed into rock & substrate like copper does, and what little bit does will dissipate. Sometimes I almost wanna say Kanaplex is "reef safe", but I know there are some corals/inverts out there that will have an adverse reaction to it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics doesn't really get absorbed into rock & substrate like copper does, and what little bit does will dissipate. Sometimes I almost wanna say Kanaplex is "reef safe", but I know there are some corals/inverts out there that will have an adverse reaction to it.

I actually just had a friend who put metroplex in her tank on advice from a LFS around here. It made her whole tank sick and her corals looked terrible. She quickly did a large water change and added a big bag of carbon. 24 hours later, things started looking much better. It was pretty scary for her and she was really ticked at the bad advice, but it did turn around. Point being, the effects didn't last after the carbon and water change, but I'm with you on the adverse reactions from corals. She did lose about half her clean up crew. Different med, but similar situation as what your talking about.

OP
OP
Kaway

Kaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish for explaining that. I always can move the snails to my dt.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just had a friend who put metroplex in her tank on advice from a LFS around here. It made her whole tank sick and her corals looked terrible. She quickly did a large water change and added a big bag of carbon. 24 hours later, things started looking much better. It was pretty scary for her and she was really ticked at the bad advice, but it did turn around. Point being, the effects didn't last after the carbon and water change, but I'm with you on the adverse reactions from corals. She did lose about half her clean up crew. Different med, but similar situation as what your talking about.

Chemiclean used to contain erythromycin as the active ingredient. Most of the time, it worked fine even with corals & inverts. However, every now and then you'd read about dead corals after someone used it. Dosing antibiotics can sometimes be done in a DT, but its not without risk.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back