ID help....clam?

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a couple ricordias on a rock several months ago. Just recently I noticed a section of the rock kinda "flaking" off. And tonight the section moved! It actually closed like a clam and reopened. I have no idea what it is though....is it a clam? It has that wavey edge to it. Now that I realize it's alive, when I look closely I can see a thin line of something protruding from the edge when it's open. It's about 1.5cm wide.

84e63af6fb9053350e4aede70cc4c08a.jpg
935a7131a4fb6a2a195858a912d80a2d.jpg
bf993cd3648e95403a5083ab20577759.jpg

OP
OP
hopperjl16

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the ric mushroom incase it is stinging the mantel of the clam.

I have an incredibly hard time keeping my ric's attached to rock where I want them. If I tried to remove this one and reattach it I guarantee it would die. Poor little clam/oyster will just have to tough it out! Lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a Lopha folium, Dendostrea sp or Hyotissa sp, most call them zig zag clams. Its an oyster though.
I have a very tiny oyster that is not letting a monti encrust over it. Not sure how that works but it is, The monti is quite literally stopping and turning up rather than over.

Total score!

Shaddow_wolf169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a Lopha folium, Dendostrea sp or Hyotissa sp, most call them zig zag clams. Its an oyster though.
I have a very tiny oyster that is not letting a monti encrust over it. Not sure how that works but it is, The monti is quite literally stopping and turning up rather than over.

Total score!
At a boy oyster don't let that monti punk you.

I have never had issues moving mushrooms do you use gorilla glue gel?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrooms hate me. I let them do what they want

OP
OP
hopperjl16

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a boy oyster don't let that monti punk you.

I have never had issues moving mushrooms do you use gorilla glue gel?

I've mostly tried super glue and aquamend.....I can't seem to overcome the slime. They won't stay attached to anything once they detach.

OP
OP
hopperjl16

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrooms hate me. I let them do what they want

Same here with rics.....I fell in love with them bc they were easy, not too expensive, and pretty.....but they hate my tank. At one point I had about 10 healthy ones. Then one by one they shrunk and detached and disappeared. I'm down to 2. All my other corals (including a large yuma and various shrooms) are happy. I have no idea.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here with rics.....I fell in love with them bc they were easy, not too expensive, and pretty.....but they hate my tank. At one point I had about 10 healthy ones. Then one by one they shrunk and detached and disappeared. I'm down to 2. All my other corals (including a large yuma and various shrooms) are happy. I have no idea.
yea, weird huh?
I love zoas, always thought I had a "Dirty tank" for them. My sps grow really well.:confused:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back