ID my designer clown?

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me identify this color variation? I've never seen anything like it!

17-1.jpg
17-2.jpg

Sorry for the poor image quality; these were taken during/shortly after acclimation so I didn't want to stress him with the lights :]

I got him from Petco for $30

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a blemish on his gill cover btw --- just a spot on the glass!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Black Storm. I've seen one seller list ones with white faces and black eyes as "pandas", but I don't think that's trade standard. You got a very good deal, assuming he's healthy.

I like how his patterns are completely different on both sides! You almost have two clowns there.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Storm. I've seen one seller list ones with white faces and black eyes as "pandas", but I don't think that's trade standard. You got a very good deal, assuming he's healthy.

I like how his patterns are completely different on both sides! You almost have two clowns there.
Lol he does look like a panda. And a cow, and kind of a zebra. I love his patterning, he was too beautiful to pass up.

So far he looks very healthy. He was at the store a few weeks ago and looked good then too. He's active and curious. About to offer some food now that he's more settler in :]

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's active and curious. About to offer some food now that he's more settled* in :]

Great news: he's eating ravenously! Gave him a couple flakes just to test and they were gone in an instant! He's chasing bubbles right now trying to eat those too lol as well as the salt creep outside the glass. Gonna thaw him some frozen now that I know he'll take it :)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flake food can work okay, but tends to have a lot of binders in it to hold it into flake shape. Binders, though not inherently bad, have little to no nutrition, so something with less of 'em is generally good. Frozen food interspersed with a high-quality pellet food should do the trick nicely, or just an assortment of frozen food.

You probably know this already, but reef fish should, for most species, be fed at least once daily. Particularly as juveniles which are busy growing. Multiple small meals per day is ideal, one meal (or one meal + copepod catching) works well enough.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flake food can work okay, but tends to have a lot of binders in it to hold it into flake shape. Binders, though not inherently bad, have little to no nutrition, so something with less of 'em is generally good. Frozen food interspersed with a high-quality pellet food should do the trick nicely, or just an assortment of frozen food.

You probably know this already, but reef fish should, for most species, be fed at least once daily. Particularly as juveniles which are busy growing. Multiple small meals per day is ideal, one meal (or one meal + copepod catching) works well enough.
Oh yes for sure, not even my FW fish get flakes as a staple. I just had them on hand from cycling and didn't want to waste frozen food if he didn't have an appetite yet. He's getting a proper meal very shortly.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me identify this color variation? I've never seen anything like it!

17-1.jpg
17-2.jpg

Sorry for the poor image quality; these were taken during/shortly after acclimation so I didn't want to stress him with the lights :]

I got him from Petco for $30
WOW you made out like a bandit. These guys at that size usually sell for a little over 100 each!!! Dang. Beautiful little one :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back