ID Needed! Fast Moving Worm

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move very quickly, fastest I've seen. Looked around and don't see anything that looks just like it but maybe I'm a noob.

Worm ID.jpg

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The head shape worries me. It looks a lot like a bobbit worm. Are those things on its body legs?

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure maybe the #reefsquad might know!! They are th best people to ask!!! Love them!!

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move very quickly, fastest I've seen. Looked around and don't see anything that looks just like it but maybe I'm a noob.

Worm ID.jpg

That is a very concerning image, o would desperately try to get that thing out for closer inspection. Red light at night can help you find them.

OP
OP
N4sty T4te

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG these things are so creepy and they are literally everywhere. I can see them swimming in the water column. Is it a bobbit worm. Here's a video.... HELP! Ahhh.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG these things are so creepy and they are literally everywhere. I can see them swimming in the water column. Is it a bobbit worm. Here's a video.... HELP! Ahhh.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

If in doubt, remove it. I suggest making a worm trap, there are a lot of suggestions online. I think most bristle worm traps will work the same.

Could you try to post a better pic of its head? That will really help with the ID.
Good luck man, those are really creepy:eek:

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a dorvillid worm

Good catch, I probably would of forgotten about them!

I knew there were a few similar looking worms, which is why I asked of a better pic of the head. The bobbit worm was just the first one that came to mind.

If you can see little black pincer looking things inside it's head, its a dorvillid worm.

OP
OP
N4sty T4te

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch, I probably would of forgotten about them!

I knew there were a few similar looking worms, which is why I asked of a better pic of the head. The bobbit worm was just the first one that came to mind.

If you can see little black pincer looking things inside it's head, its a dorvillid worm.

Don't see a black thing on the heads but see white speck instead. I watch a video of them and it seems to be the same worm. Size matches up and they are putting a hurting on algae on the glass bottom of my QT. Their work ethic is serious. guess time will tell the largest one is around 1.5" super slender. But man they are fast, they look like regular bristle worms on crack.

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mikeinthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Dorvilleidea. They are omnivores but mostly stick to consuming algae found in substrate. I have a few in my tank but they are rarely seen as they stay in the sand, they peek out every now and then. Do you have substrate or do you have a bare bottom tank?

OP
OP
N4sty T4te

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom QT. I'm not worried about them, my sixline in the display will be happy to see them if they aren't already in the display:)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back