ID please

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikebusc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mikebusc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Messages
304
Reaction score
175
Location
Douglassville, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify this? I just noticed it today attached to a clam shell I purchased for the coraline algae. It wasn’t on it when I originally put it in the tank a couple months ago.

IMG_6813.jpeg IMG_6810.jpeg
 
I was thinking that but have no idea where it could have come from. The tanks is only about 3-4 months old. As far as clams I only had the two or three shells I purchased for the coraline. I don’t know how small they start out but could it have been attached to one of the shells and I never saw it?
 
Can anyone identify this? I just noticed it today attached to a clam shell I purchased for the coraline algae. It wasn’t on it when I originally put it in the tank a couple months ago.

IMG_6813.jpeg IMG_6810.jpeg
If the white spikes jutting out there are part of the shell, then it's likely either a Jewel Box Clam (taxonomic family Chamidae) or a Thorny Oyster (Spondylus genus) - neat and harmless.
 
If the white spikes jutting out there are part of the shell, then it's likely either a Jewel Box Clam (taxonomic family Chamidae) or a Thorny Oyster (Spondylus genus) - neat and harmless.
Yes they are part of the shell. Thanks. But it appeared out of nowhere. And actually I've only had occupants in the tank for roughly 6 weeks. Had a few pieces of live rock but mostly dry rock cycling for about 2 months before that. Could it have been very tiny in the LR that I never noticed it? I'm not sure how a clam begins its life :thinking-face:
 
Yes they are part of the shell. Thanks. But it appeared out of nowhere. And actually I've only had occupants in the tank for roughly 6 weeks. Had a few pieces of live rock but mostly dry rock cycling for about 2 months before that. Could it have been very tiny in the LR that I never noticed it? I'm not sure how a clam begins its life :thinking-face:
It's possible it was tiny and unnoticed; some bivalves are also mobile/facultatively mobile at some periods of their lives, so it's possible it moved as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new