ID rock color

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank has been setup for over a year and its going good. To me it doesnt look like I have any coralline, im colorblind so tough for me to tell. I ask my kid if there is any purple or pink on the rock and he says no. He saw the color of these rocks in my tank and said they look like smoke grey. Never seen anything like this before so idk.

IMG_3831.JPG IMG_3832.JPG IMG_3833.JPG

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a couple of spots of coralline. The rest looks like live rock but doesn’t have coralline on it. How stable and were do you usually keep your parameters? Usually good stable alk and calcium along with good lighting and seeding (which you have) allows coralline to take off.

D0AD1572-5476-4691-A9E5-C2B34BCF57B4.jpeg

OP
OP
devlzluv

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New testing kit coming in next week. Old kit is so off so idk what it is at right now. I know all my corals are growing and growing good. Lighting is good, its the marine pro leds that have the 60 degree lens. Ive actually had to turn the whites down as the coral was starting to bleach and die.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya sorry, that rock was one small one i got from fish story thats covered in it. Scrubbed it to get in the column, lol i was trying to get a pic without that in it!

How long ago did you add the rock with coralline on it? My tank is almost a year mark and the coralline is just now starting to take off from snails that I added about 3 months ago that were covered in coralline. You have to add coralline from something for it to be in your tank. It could be from snails, rock, frag plugs, scrapings or even coralline in a bottle.

OP
OP
devlzluv

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehhh not to many snails ive added that had it. Didn't even think of that, nothing crawls over my purple rock that actually has it, may add some more stuff that has it or get a bottle off amazon.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just scrape the rock that already has some. It will seed the rest of the tank. Mine didn't really start taking off until after I started needing to dose to keep my alk levels up. I have added around 30 corals over the last year.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do that, why is my rock that color though. Ive never seen that before?

Not sure, Mine have changed lots of colors before the purple coralline started growing on them. They were a neon green for awhile, ha. Once the coralline starts spreading it will take over.

OP
OP
devlzluv

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears my bs water changes monthly were not enough. I have been doing a 5g water change ever week now in my 52g total water capacity. Finally got a purple spot showing up in 2 places. The goofy smoke colored rock is starting to go away. Believe due to no nutrients in the water to help did anything. My chemistry is KH-9.97, MG 1800 - its high and I think i screwed that up, calcium is 540. Phosphate is idk, still waiting on test kit. Ya, my stupid *** decided to do monthly water changes with no supplements and about 9 corals now. Grrrr!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back