ID skin issue on Royal Gramma

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone suggest what's going on with this little guy?

F9D60C3C-EA73-4813-9488-BE35928A1B7B.jpeg A84FF497-EFA2-487D-B072-5F886F640423.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can anyone suggest what's going on with this little guy?

F9D60C3C-EA73-4813-9488-BE35928A1B7B.jpeg A84FF497-EFA2-487D-B072-5F886F640423.jpeg
This is not aggression issue but rather secondary bacterial which may have started as injury but treatment is warranted and fish will need to be placed in quarantine setting and treated with seachem Kanaplaex. If no Kanaplex, Maracyn 2.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any aggression from tank mates ?
#fishmedic
Possibly. I added six Grammas about two months ago thinking they were docile fish who wouldn't bother each other or anyone else. I also didn't think any others would consider them a threat. One disappeared and two died with no sign of disease. One of those had a laceration on its side which I considered most likely a post mortem cuc issue. Now I'm wondering if a surgeonfish could have been responsible.
The suspects would include, 1) White Tail Bristletooth Tang, 2) Yellow Tang, 3) Foxface Rabbitfish, 4) Six Line Wrasse
I do have a number of timid species, (Firefish, Filefish, gobies), which are fine but were in the tank before the tangs.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those species you listed are very compatible with royal grammas, sounds like they have been picking each other off.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six Royal Gramma is going to be a guaranteed blood bath.

Like someone mentioned above, it looks like a secondary infection is developing and this guy probably needs some treatment.

Based on the previous comment, it sounds like you still have 3 gramma. Consider finding and rehoming one or two. In my experience, if there are others of their kind around they will wake up every morning and choose violence.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those species you listed are very compatible with royal grammas, sounds like they have been picking each other off.
The Grammas are captive bred and came from the same tank. Biota thought they'd be fine but I believe they were raised in a tank where there was no ability to establish territories. There were dozens of them and only PVC for shelter. Perhaps putting six in a tank with 100# of rock is an entirely different story.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of fish are commonly housed in holding tanks until sale. Happens to most fish, even the most aggressive triggerfish. Once they have rock and room, with some flow, its on.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of fish are commonly housed in holding tanks until sale. Happens to most fish, even the most aggressive triggerfish. Once they have rock and room, with some flow, its on.
I guess the folks at Biota were unaware of that. I don't normally trust the purveyor's for advice but I don't think Biota would have any difficulty unloading their fish without me.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the folks at Biota were unaware of that. I don't normally trust the purveyor's for advice but I don't think Biota would have any difficulty unloading their fish without me.
Ive only seen them in more than single specimens in LFS's on a few occasions, if thats anything to tell you of their reputation with each other.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my homework and actually asked this site for advice and was not deterred. See my post, "Multiple Royal Grammas".

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not doubting you, so dont take it that way. I applaud you for doing your research then.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not doubting you, so dont take it that way. I applaud you for doing your research then.
No, I didn't think you were accusing me of anything. I'm just disappointed how things are turning out for my fish. So often in this hobby you try to do your best and things still go terribly wrong. On the positive side I learned something, and my phyto and copepod cultures are doing good lol!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't think you were accusing me of anything. I'm just disappointed how things are turning out for my fish. So often in this hobby you try to do your best and things still go terribly wrong. On the positive side I learned something, and my phyto and copepod cultures are doing good lol!
Heyyyy!!! thats one heck of a positive. It sucks to learn something a the death of one of our critters.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And another positive: once you get the gramma situation figured out, the one that you do have will be happy and healthy!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back