Id this a baby shrimp????

JeremyKnight

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 10, 2021
Messages
101
Reaction score
68
Location
Florence
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my bubble coral not opening up and some torn flesh on the bottom. I took it out and dipped it in coral rx. To my surprise about 20 of these little dudes came off of the coral. An image search doesn't show definitively. Any help??

20250215_112129.jpg
 
Amphipods
I have amphipods in my tank, these dudes do not look like them. If I can get one under the scope I’ll compare them. I had two barred blood red shrimp about 3 months ago. These are the right size to be the larvae.
 
Amphipods
I have amphipods in my tank, these dudes do not look like them. If I can get one under the scope I’ll compare them. I had two barred blood red shrimp about 3 months ago. These are the right size to be the larvae.
Agreed with amphipods, and I can tell you for sure they're not Blood Red Fire Shrimp larvae - there are a ton of different amphipod species, and it's entirely possible to have two that look completely different.

An easy way to tell these aren't shrimp (or a tanaid) is the claw (called a gnathopod) - these have a single hook rather than the two scissors-like claws or pincers found on shrimp. To differentiate them from other similar crustaceans like some isopods, you can tell both by the way the tail curls under the body and by the way the segmentation of the body looks; the segments are smooth and virtually seamless, while in similar isopods the segments are more pronounced with more exaggerated "seams" where the segments meet.

Anyway, these are definitely Amphipods of some variety.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new