Id this crab please.

  • Thread starter Thread starter kevgib67
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2022
Messages
42,277
Reaction score
261,388
Location
Canfield, Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught this little guy today. I thought at first it was a gorilla crab but it doesn’t have black tipped claws. Any ideas?
IMG_3271.jpeg
IMG_3272.jpeg
IMG_3273.jpeg
 
Was digging through photos for a gorilla with brown tipped claws, but alas... sure looks like a gorilla. Sump it.
 
Was digging through photos for a gorilla with brown tipped claws, but alas... sure looks like a gorilla. Sump it.
It was summed thank you! He’s in with a black tipped one that is four sizes bigger. If he came in on your live rock I put into the tank at the end of January, I can’t believe he’s so small. The other one was just a little bigger when I removed it from the DT and has grown huge since.
 
It was summed thank you! He’s in with a black tipped one that is four sizes bigger. If he came in on your live rock I put into the tank at the end of January, I can’t believe he’s so small. The other one was just a little bigger when I removed it from the DT and has grown huge since.
one of my lfs used to have a chunky gorrilla crab in they're "tank of shame" which was dedicated for random hitchhikers, it was as big as my hand leg to leg
 
It was summed thank you! He’s in with a black tipped one that is four sizes bigger. If he came in on your live rock I put into the tank at the end of January, I can’t believe he’s so small. The other one was just a little bigger when I removed it from the DT and has grown huge since.
I've had baby porcelain crabs arrive on TBS rock that weren't bigger than the head of a small screw, so always possible it came in very, very small!
 
I've had baby porcelain crabs arrive on TBS rock that weren't bigger than the head of a small screw, so always possible it came in very, very small!
I got dozens of porcelain crabs that came with TBS rock, they all stay small and you can see their little fans fanning when you look in the cracks and crevices. Unlike the store bought ones they ignore my rfas.
 
I've had baby porcelain crabs arrive on TBS rock that weren't bigger than the head of a small screw, so always possible it came in very, very small!
I got dozens of porcelain crabs that came with TBS rock, they all stay small and you can see their little fans fanning when you look in the cracks and crevices. Unlike the store bought ones they ignore my rfas.
Wait the colorful porcelain crabs eat RFA? I was going to get one of the red and white ones but I have two rock flowers.
I have a green porcelain crab who is harmless.
 
Wait the colorful porcelain crabs eat RFA? I was going to get one of the red and white ones but I have two rock flowers.
I have a green porcelain crab who is harmless.
No, they take residence on RFAs (or BTAs). Doesn't really bother the nem. They know what they're doing.
 
Wait the colorful porcelain crabs eat RFA? I was going to get one of the red and white ones but I have two rock flowers.
I have a green porcelain crab who is harmless.
RFAs host them.
 
Wait the colorful porcelain crabs eat RFA? I was going to get one of the red and white ones but I have two rock flowers.
I have a green porcelain crab who is harmless.
No, they take residence on RFAs (or BTAs). Doesn't really bother the nem. They know what they're doing.
Sorry I misunderstood, thanks for clearing it up for me
 
Ah got it, so they annoy them lol
It’s a beneficial symbiotic relationship.
I know it was a joke, apparently not funny 😅. I meant like how I see my sexy shrimp annoy both the RFA’s and the BTA in my tank (and pretty much all of my corals at some point). But yes I’m aware they serve a purpose cleaning off excess food or possibly cleaning off pests while the anemone serves as protection for the animal.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new