ID this Nem please?

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this anemone for over a year. Bought it along with the 2 Percs that breed alongside it every 14 days. One LFS I go to said this is not a BT but a Sand Anemone. If that's the case, it has remained anchored to the same rock from the day I placed it on. It only moved to the right and down a little during the 1st few days but stayed put ever since. Here's a shot from above and another showing its foot. PS the Banggai Cardinal fish male is carrying a mouthful of eggs as of yesterday hence the "bulldog" mouth. This pair provide 25 to 50 fry per month or so. I raise them in another tank and sell them to my LFS. I don't bother breeding the clowns though.

20200117_163128.jpg 20200117_163132.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsqaud as i am terrible at anemones, random guess is looks like Anthopleura but sure that helps nada lol.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a pic of the column under the tentacles and of the foot to determine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like sebae anemone

OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took these with flash because the lights have ramped off (I'm in Perth Western Australia). Here you go. The column goes through a space in the rocks and attaches under by forming an incomplete U. The last is a close up of the foot.

20200117_202830.jpg 20200117_202823.jpg 20200117_202815.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. We'll see what he says. He's retracted up top with both clownfish sleeping in the disc. They hardly ever venture away from it. It's quite large at a good 8" diameter (including tentacles) at the disc. It's never split and it loves a fresh clam or muscle every week.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Oldsalt
It is a M. doreensis which is the LTA. This is a sand bed anemone. If you have had him for the last year, then he is not doing too well. You need to get a deep sand bed for him 3+inches. He does not need a lot of current nor a lot of light. Low range of SPS should be OK.
Do you have a sand bed in your tank?

OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Oldsalt
It is a M. doreensis which is the LTA. This is a sand bed anemone. If you have had him for the last year, then he is not doing too well. You need to get a deep sand bed for him 3+inches. He does not need a lot of current nor a lot of light. Low range of SPS should be OK.
Do you have a sand bed in your tank?
Yes I do have a sand bed that slopes from 2" front to 4" at the rear. I hesitate to remove his foot from the rock but I can if you think it be better for him. He has moved downward more recently - probably trying to find sand. It has grown a lot in 12 months. Why do you say he's not doing well? He puffs up like mad mid afternoon. If I get his foot off, I want him in the same general area where he seems to like the flow and par. Recommendations?

OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied this from Wikipedia
-----------------------
The oral disc is normally purplish-gray to brown, and sometimes has a green cast. It has a flared shape, and grows to a maximum of 5 cm wide, but is often far smaller.
------------------------
Where are they measuring it at only 5cm? This guy is at least 8" (5cm is only 2 inches) in diameter up top - when puffed up its almost a foot in diameter. This is a large aquarium of 1500 litres. Regardless, I'll let it enjoy the sand if you think that's better. I'm sure the clownfish will follow him anywhere!

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should have fuller and longer tentacles, especially the tentacles in the middle of the oral plates.
Look up images of LTA and you see what I mean. Feed him some so he have the energy to grow new tentacles.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied this from Wikipedia
-----------------------
The oral disc is normally purplish-gray to brown, and sometimes has a green cast. It has a flared shape, and grows to a maximum of 5 cm wide, but is often far smaller.
------------------------
Where are they measuring it at only 5cm? This guy is at least 8" (5cm is only 2 inches) in diameter up top - when puffed up its almost a foot in diameter. This is a large aquarium of 1500 litres. Regardless, I'll let it enjoy the sand if you think that's better. I'm sure the clownfish will follow him anywhere!
This does not describe M. doreensis, or else the author is really wrong. I definitely seen LTA that reach 30 cm not counting the length of the tentacles

OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should have fuller and longer tentacles, especially the tentacles in the middle of the oral plates.
Look up images of LTA and you see what I mean. Feed him some so he have the energy to grow new tentacles.
OK So they're measuring the tentacles. I'll get him onto the sand asap. I'm about to change scape a little anyway so this a good time to move him.
I looked it up on Wikipedia per post above. Now I know why it had shells on the foot when I bought it. It came with the pair of ocellaris you see in the photos. The lot cost only $35.00!

OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK So they're measuring the tentacles. I'll get him onto the sand asap. I'm about to change scape a little anyway so this a good time to move him.
I looked it up on Wikipedia per post above. Now I know why it had shells on the foot when I bought it. It came with the pair of ocellaris you see in the photos. The lot cost only $35.00!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The author is probably incorrect lol
Seem like he described H. malu. I can tell from what he wrote, he has no experience or knowledge. Just repeat some information that he found elsewhere.

OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like he described H. malu. I can tell from what he wrote, he has no experience or knowledge. Just repeat some information that he found elsewhere.

I have editing rights on Wikipedia. I could correct that entire article but it's lots of work.
Anyway -
I'm having a tough time trying to get his foot off the rock. I'm afraid I'll damage it. Any tips? I've read somewhere that ice helps but I'm loathe to try without first hand experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back