Idea for easy sump

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say the same thing as everyone else, the skimmer should not be in the same section as the return pump. you need consistent water level for the skimmer to work properly.

Richard Chipman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this idea is inspired by the dry tickle filter sump. But it's better. It uses this diagram as a guide.
1d50fbe2d72796519f27b74e57eac778.png

So my idea is only a theory but I think it will work. So what you do is get a big plastic bin that's tall and wide to hold water and equipment. Next for a filter get a long plastic bin and turn it diagonal upwards, then cut some rectangles from a small plastic container and use some aquarium safe silicon to glue it on and that's where you will put the sponges and carbon bags and the other filter media. Make sure the rectangles have a gap at the end so the water can flow through the sump. Use the diagram as a reference. Those little divider things that are on the sump also recommended they are rectangles with a small gap (someone tell me the terminology) for a refugum I would recommend a small plastic container with no top. For a skimmer I'm getting a normal skimmer but you can make your own if that's possible. If you have anymore questions or have any tips please tell me!
With all due respect, that's a bad design. Too much media for one and skimmer can't go in return area. I always K.I.S.S. Increase flow through rock run carbon and socks. Run a gfo and dose if needed

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With all due respect, that's a bad design. Too much media for one and skimmer can't go in return area. I always K.I.S.S. Increase flow through rock run carbon and socks. Run a gfo and dose if needed

Everyone is different on how much media. I have seen builds that have 5 reactors all running different media. It’s on what you are comfortable with and what you want to grow (system needs). While I personally agree with you - increase the live rock and natural filtration decrease the chemical, I don’t agree that it’s necessarily a bad design choice.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back