Idea for easy sump

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, you can get very expensive ones or cheaper ones. Jabeo pumps are cheap but you also get what you pay for. I use Korallia and they are ok, lower cost than others.

What size tank are you looking to put this on? Is it a drilled tank or do you want an external overflow? Drilled tanks, or reef ready, already have holes drilled in them and are easier to plumb. HOB overflows can cause problems if you loose siphon

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, you can get very expensive ones or cheaper ones. Jabeo pumps are cheap but you also get what you pay for. I use Korallia and they are ok, lower cost than others.

What size tank are you looking to put this on? Is it a drilled tank or do you want an external overflow? Drilled tanks, or reef ready, already have holes drilled in them and are easier to plumb. HOB overflows can cause problems if you loose siphon

Maybe I should just not have a sump and just use a canister filter, protein skimmer, and a small clean up crew

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So this idea is inspired by the dry tickle filter sump. But it's better. It uses this diagram as a guide.
1d50fbe2d72796519f27b74e57eac778.png

So my idea is only a theory but I think it will work. So what you do is get a big plastic bin that's tall and wide to hold water and equipment. Next for a filter get a long plastic bin and turn it diagonal upwards, then cut some rectangles from a small plastic container and use some aquarium safe silicon to glue it on and that's where you will put the sponges and carbon bags and the other filter media. Make sure the rectangles have a gap at the end so the water can flow through the sump. Use the diagram as a reference. Those little divider things that are on the sump also recommended they are rectangles with a small gap (someone tell me the terminology) for a refugum I would recommend a small plastic container with no top. For a skimmer I'm getting a normal skimmer but you can make your own if that's possible. If you have anymore questions or have any tips please tell me!

Put all of the chemical filtration after the refugium. Otherwise you pull out nutrients the fuge needs. You want the chemical after the fuge to get anything left over.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true

Okay. But besides that I think my design idea is good. I will make the modifications you guys say. I'm doing a lot of research and if things get to costly for my parents I'll gladly sell some stuff for money

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put all of the chemical filtration after the refugium. Otherwise you pull out nutrients the fuge needs. You want the chemical after the fuge to get anything left over.

I will make another slab for the chemical filtration

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since all the equipment is expensive enough. I'm gonna have to make a D.I.Y glass aquarium. I want an 100 gallon but it's too expensive so i think I have to make my own.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait are powerheads those fan things you put in the water to help with flow?
Yes, get the jebeo wave makers they have multiple flows and come with a controller for like 60$, versus the brands that cost 4 or 5 times more. I’ve got a couple going on 2 years that work perfect.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also since you are on a budget you can get a $cheap return pump for the sump, I’m not sure what mine is but it been going strong for 3 years and was under 100$. You don’t need the overpriced power heads, wave makers, return pumps to have a successful reef tank, all they need to do is move water.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also since you are on a budget you can get a $cheap return pump for the sump, I’m not sure what mine is but it been going strong for 3 years and was under 100$. You don’t need the overpriced power heads, wave makers, return pumps to have a successful reef tank, all they need to do is move water.

Thank you. When I start building this I will consider that.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you don’t really need an expensive controller like apex etc..., Only thing I wouldn’t skimp on is the lights if you plan to grow corals. I’m kinda old school don’t have a controller, dose manually etc.. and enjoy my tank, it shouldn’t be burdensome or your gonna burn out. Here are a couple pics from a few days ago just so you can see you don’t need the latest and greatest to have a successful tank.
636861AD-E707-4F0B-BFB9-58BB6520FE46.jpeg
A3E35FF9-A907-48F2-9332-96ACB3FA3E66.jpeg

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you don’t really need an expensive controller like apex etc..., Only thing I wouldn’t skimp on is the lights if you plan to grow corals. I’m kinda old school don’t have a controller, dose manually etc.. and enjoy my tank, it shouldn’t be burdensome or your gonna burn out. Here are a couple pics from a few days ago just so you can see you don’t need the latest and greatest to have a successful tank.
636861AD-E707-4F0B-BFB9-58BB6520FE46.jpeg
A3E35FF9-A907-48F2-9332-96ACB3FA3E66.jpeg

Awesome. I will try and get a 40-50 gallon tank at least. How many gallons is yours?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I will try and get a 40-50 gallon tank at least. How many gallons is yours?
92 gallon Cadlights and 30 gallon sump. I would shoot for at least a 50 to 90 gallon, those sizes keep costs down on the tank and stand along with needing less pumps and lights, also less additives needed, smaller water changes, etc. saving you lots of $ when funds are tight as costs all around go up substantially on bigger tanks. I’ve had tanks from 5 to 300 gallons and the bigger ones are great all around but cost much more for everything needed to run them and keep them running. I wanted to keep my tank in my bedroom and settled on the 92cadlights, not to big and not to small.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my old account but check the most recent Post I made updates to my design and I need some help.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should just not have a sump and just use a canister filter, protein skimmer, and a small clean up crew

I have an Aqueon 400 canister, HOTB skimmer and it was incredibly easy to maintain. on a 55gallon (48"x 12 x 20). This model of the canister is rated at 150g, which is why I opted for that. I wanted an over-powered filtration system to negate nutrient and water parameter spikes/issues, and it also drastically increased my bio-load capabilities (could handle more livestock). As said above, Don't skimp out on Lights ever.. I did and now I've got 2 LED strip lights that I regret. But Do not skimp on filtration either. Nothing is worse than Battling water parameters and chemistry with dosing schedules and frequent Water changes.

If you like DIY, you could do something like my HOTB Cheato Fuge as well to help nutrient control: HERE

The Biggest Sway for me to OPT for the 400* version of the canister was versatility for Flow on the Return...

It comes with:

1 Regular Jet Return
2 HOTB Water-Polisher (Like HOTB filters)
1 Spray Bar with attachments to make its length anywhere from 8"- 30" or so..

It comes with a " T " coupler for the return as well... So you get to choose any 2 of the above listed for your returns if you like to spread the flow around on the return.

I chose to " T " the jet and 1 of the HOTB Polishers. Then I used 2 nano power heads at either end of the tank and got great flow throughout the tank.

And if the "HOTB" plumbing bothers you, just paint the back side of the tank to block it out or use the Stick-on Backsplash Film.

Best of luck to you... A sump is not for beginners if you aren't buying 1 that is already set up and all-inclusive. This hobby requires a ton of experience and knowledge, of course at least Daily 2 hours of R2R skimming as well. I am 4 months in, and have another couple of months to go before I take the dive and set up a sump. I still barely grasp the mechanics and function of it as a whole. I am anxious but already learned many lessons by thinking I could just "Dive In".

The canister works beautifully and the HOTB skimmer works like a champ on a medium sized tank as long as it's dialed in right and you clean it regularly (I did it once a week)

Best of luck and welcome to R2R!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqueon 400 canister, HOTB skimmer and it was incredibly easy to maintain. on a 55gallon (48"x 12 x 20). This model of the canister is rated at 150g, which is why I opted for that. I wanted an over-powered filtration system to negate nutrient and water parameter spikes/issues, and it also drastically increased my bio-load capabilities (could handle more livestock). As said above, Don't skimp out on Lights ever.. I did and now I've got 2 LED strip lights that I regret. But Do not skimp on filtration either. Nothing is worse than Battling water parameters and chemistry with dosing schedules and frequent Water changes.

If you like DIY, you could do something like my HOTB Cheato Fuge as well to help nutrient control: HERE

The Biggest Sway for me to OPT for the 400* version of the canister was versatility for Flow on the Return...

It comes with:

1 Regular Jet Return
2 HOTB Water-Polisher (Like HOTB filters)
1 Spray Bar with attachments to make its length anywhere from 8"- 30" or so..

It comes with a " T " coupler for the return as well... So you get to choose any 2 of the above listed for your returns if you like to spread the flow around on the return.

I chose to " T " the jet and 1 of the HOTB Polishers. Then I used 2 nano power heads at either end of the tank and got great flow throughout the tank.

And if the "HOTB" plumbing bothers you, just paint the back side of the tank to block it out or use the Stick-on Backsplash Film.

Best of luck to you... A sump is not for beginners if you aren't buying 1 that is already set up and all-inclusive. This hobby requires a ton of experience and knowledge, of course at least 2 hours of R2R skimming as well. I am 4 months in, and have another couple of months to go before I take the dive and set up a sump. The canister works beautifully.

Best of luck and welcome to R2R!!

That actually sounds like a great idea. I actually made a post about my idea for my tank so you can look at it if ya want. Here's a link

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...dex.php?threads/Updated-idea-for-tank.422283/

Last edited:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my old account but check the most recent Post I made updates to my design and I need some help.
What do you mean you lost your old account?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back