Idea for easy sump

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this idea is inspired by the dry tickle filter sump. But it's better. It uses this diagram as a guide.
1d50fbe2d72796519f27b74e57eac778.png

So my idea is only a theory but I think it will work. So what you do is get a big plastic bin that's tall and wide to hold water and equipment. Next for a filter get a long plastic bin and turn it diagonal upwards, then cut some rectangles from a small plastic container and use some aquarium safe silicon to glue it on and that's where you will put the sponges and carbon bags and the other filter media. Make sure the rectangles have a gap at the end so the water can flow through the sump. Use the diagram as a reference. Those little divider things that are on the sump also recommended they are rectangles with a small gap (someone tell me the terminology) for a refugum I would recommend a small plastic container with no top. For a skimmer I'm getting a normal skimmer but you can make your own if that's possible. If you have anymore questions or have any tips please tell me!

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
harmful? not really but they create this white haze in your display that doesn't look good. Its not like they float right to the surface. They can stay suspended and blow around in the current for hours.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
harmful? not really but they create this white haze in your display that doesn't look good. Its not like they float right to the surface. They can stay suspended and blow around in the current for hours.

Have a solution for my idea. Maybe putting the skimmer behind The refugum

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do it before or after the refgium. The triton methos requires it after but a lot like to put it before because it can harm pods getting from the fug to the display. I have it after and it doesn't seem to be a big issue.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with the advice of moving the skimmer I would add that the water flowing into the sump at that height might cause excessive splashing out of the sump and also lots of potential salt creep.

So lower the height. I'm gonna try my hardest to find a bin with the right dimensions and if not I'll just cut it down a bit. I'm glad to see you guys like my idea

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depending on the skimmer the water line being that high in the skimmer chamber your gonna need to raise the skimmer way up, best to keep the skimmer in a section of the sump where the water height never changes so you rarely need to adjust it.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depending on the skimmer the water line being that high in the skimmer chamber your gonna need to raise the skimmer way up, best to keep the skimmer in a section of the sump where the water height never changes so you rarely need to adjust it.

Got it. I will tell you guys when it's made. Also what do you think of the setup if it doesn't work my back up is to just have no sump just a skimmer and a canister filter

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers really need a constant water level to work properly. Being in the return section, this is where the water level will fluctuate. Other than, it looks good

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers really need a constant water level to work properly. Being in the return section, this is where the water level will fluctuate. Other than, it looks good

Thanks I hope this will work. How does the water go back into the tank? Also is there a certain Tube that can do this?

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a pump to pump the water back to the tank and you can use either PVC or flexible tubing

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an overflow to get the water from the tank to the sump. Then a pump to push it back to the tank. You can do this with another fish tank as well. I was using a 40B tank as a sump previously on another tank I had. A local glass company cut some panels for me and I siliconed them in. There are also companies that make kits for standard tanks as well. https://www.exoticmarinesystems.com/collections/sump-kits is one.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an overflow to get the water from the tank to the sump. Then a pump to push it back to the tank. You can do this with another fish tank as well. I was using a 40B tank as a sump previously on another tank I had. A local glass company cut some panels for me and I siliconed them in. There are also companies that make kits for standard tanks as well. https://www.exoticmarinesystems.com/collections/sump-kits is one.

Okay so one overflow system and one pump or two pumps?

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One pump is all you need to pump the water to the tank. You probably will want some sort of power head or 2 in the tank to create water movement as the return isn't enough for that.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One pump is all you need to pump the water to the tank. You probably will want some sort of power head or 2 in the tank to create water movement as the return isn't enough for that.

Okay are power heads expensive?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back