Ideal blue LED accent strips?

jtarmitage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 5'x3'x2' tank. Lighting consists of 250w MH and a pair of VHO superactinics. Looking to add blue LED's to get more POP, not add LED fixtures. Strips or even some form of retrofit LED's would work, just looking at the options, and as always, the price does matter :D

Any opinions appreciated.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 1st gen allblue reefbrites. they're awesome and it definitely adds more pop with the halides but if you even want more i heard the reefbrite XHO is even brighter. i use them also for night light cycle and they're just blue enough that makes everything pop without being "too" blue

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GET the Reef Brite XHO. You will get one and then want two and then you will get rid of your VHOs and never have to buy VHOs again. Try one and you will see what I am talking about. One puts out more light then two of the VHOs.

I wish I didn't sell mine with my old lights, I would like to have it with my LED set up I have now.
I may buy another strip eventually.

Last edited:

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true lumen makes some decent led strip lights that are easy to add to existing fixture

but you could diy the led for like $60 including shipping

I just ordered 30 cree 3w royal blue's for around $60 off ebay

OP
OP
J

jtarmitage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating the DIY option, though I must admit, I am completely inexperienced with setting something like this up. Overall, I'm relatively handy, but haven't gone this route before. If I did go DIY, what all would be required? Bulbs, driver(power supply included?) some form of rail I suppose, and is a heat sink necessary if the bulbs are spread out on a strip? Then you get to the reflectors. I'm not looking for PAR, just POP, so would reflectors/lenses be called for?

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to DIY, you can call or email bill at reefledlights they're sponsors here and bill is very knowledgeable

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating the DIY option, though I must admit, I am completely inexperienced with setting something like this up. Overall, I'm relatively handy, but haven't gone this route before. If I did go DIY, what all would be required? Bulbs, driver(power supply included?) some form of rail I suppose, and is a heat sink necessary if the bulbs are spread out on a strip? Then you get to the reflectors. I'm not looking for PAR, just POP, so would reflectors/lenses be called for?
I have some I built in my thread links in my "signature" not sure what page thou... The last 20 pages or so I would say haha.... I used a heat sink it's essential but optics are not... Unless you don't like the spill of light which my wife hates you might want to invest in them..

OP
OP
J

jtarmitage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread Lee. I still haven't gotten to the LED part of it yet though as I've been reading the whole thing :D

I do like the nice clean lines of the Reefbrites, and that would be far easier, though the budget has already been busted putting this tank together. A little more research is in order I think. It's surprising that I don't find very many similar alternatives to the Reefbrites. I've got a 24" Sunbrite T10, but can't see spending $250+ for a 4'-5' version...

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you wouldnt need a heatsink if you went with 1w led's you dont need the par so 1w would be fine

or what about a led t-8 bulb? they cost about $40 for a 4' bulb

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back