Ideas for nano fish for my 40B

Tiny Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I have a 40 breeder bare-bottom, no sump, 110 tidal hob filter, small tunze skimmer, that houses a filefish, 2 clowns, a bicolor blenny, and 2 banggai cardinals. Inverts include a new BTA, urchin, cleaner shrimp, and some soft corals. Also a large Gracilaria algae. None of my fish are cruisers and I'd like to have someone to watch. I know I am dangerously close to my livestock limit, but it is a wonderful and beautiful tank. Everyone gets along except the bicolor and female clown who are frenemies.

Since it's a bare bottom, my list of gobies and blennies is pretty small, I think. I really love fang blennies but would like to have a more vibrant fish. Recommendations for a colorful, open swimming small fish or trio of tiny fish who will not harass my peaceful tank? captive bred would be ideal.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I have a 40 breeder bare-bottom, no sump, 110 tidal hob filter, small tunze skimmer, that houses a filefish, 2 clowns, a bicolor blenny, and 2 banggai cardinals. Inverts include a new BTA, urchin, cleaner shrimp, and some soft corals. Also a large Gracilaria algae. None of my fish are cruisers and I'd like to have someone to watch. I know I am dangerously close to my livestock limit, but it is a wonderful and beautiful tank. Everyone gets along except the bicolor and female clown who are frenemies.

Since it's a bare bottom, my list of gobies and blennies is pretty small, I think. I really love fang blennies but would like to have a more vibrant fish. Recommendations for a colorful, open swimming small fish or trio of tiny fish who will not harass my peaceful tank? captive bred would be ideal.

neon blue goby or hector goby are my #1 and #2 votes for your tank additions

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

There are some more colorful fang blennies. Canary blennies are full yellow - looks like a Midas.

Coral beauty or one of the smaller dwarf angels gets my vote. Hit or miss on if they bother corals (so far I’ve been lucky), but always out and about. One of the best centerpiece fish for a smaller tank (and a good substitute for tangs in less than a 75).

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
court jester goby/hectors goby
pygmy wrasse (once tank is established with a good copepod population or if you frequently dose pods)

both add diversity and utility. you could substitute the pygmy wrasse for a yellow coris wrasse for a splash of color and activity compared to the more cryptic pygmy wrasses

OP
OP
Tiny Ocean

Tiny Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas, guys!
I had a court jester goby (he went carpet surfing, RIP) and loved his coloring but he was a big fan of moving sand so I figure one would not be absolutely happy in my new tank.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are active swimmers. One of my favorite fish to watch swimming in and out of corals throughout the tank. It’s funny when he swims up to a hole in the rock and then will sometimes slowly back into it like a parking a car.

OP
OP
Tiny Ocean

Tiny Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are active swimmers. One of my favorite fish to watch swimming in and out of corals throughout the tank. It’s funny when he swims up to a hole in the rock and then will sometimes slowly back into it like a parking a car.
I was just getting ready to search on here about their aggression level! I had not considered these guys because always read that they're jerks and people get rid of them after they start adding other fish. They are beautiful, open-swimming, cheap, and captive bred, just what I'm looking for. What if I got only 2?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back