Identifing Dwarf golden moray eel gender..?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a dwarf golden moray eel to my tank yesterday, and after realizing how much I enjoy it and how little room it really takes up, I am considering ordering another one. Is there a way I can figure out what sex it is so I can attempt to order the opposite so they can live comfortable together? Any advice?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're protogynous hermaphrodites. In theory you should be able to buy one on the opposite end of the size spectrum and have one male/one female but you will eventually end up with two males. As far as I'm aware there are no structural or color difference between the two. Being said, same sex morays can co-exist together provided ample space and feedings.

Remember that while small in stature, they're still a Gymnothorax and behave accordingly.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're protogynous hermaphrodites. In theory you should be able to buy one on the opposite end of the size spectrum and have one male/one female but you will eventually end up with two males. As far as I'm aware there are no structural or color difference between the two. Being said, same sex morays can co-exist together provided ample space and feedings.

Remember that while small in stature, they're still a Gymnothorax and behave accordingly.

Oh! thats rather cool, so they are like clownfish? Should I purchase another and ask for a similar size and just hope they live comfortably. I guess ideally I do not need a male and female. Just thinking two would be better than one.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! thats rather cool, so they are like clownfish? Should I purchase another and ask for a similar size and just hope they live comfortably. I guess ideally I do not need a male and female. Just thinking two would be better than one.

Kind of, clowns are protandrous hermaphrodites. Two are definitely entertaining but feeding can be a pita.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my own experience it's a bad idea to add another eels into the tank after 1 already settled. You would get higher change for 2 eels co-op together when you add them to the tank same time. So, it's a hit or a miss if you want to add a second eels but most likely it will be a miss but I hope I was wrong about that and you have better luck than me :)

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my own experience it's a bad idea to add another eels into the tank after 1 already settled. You would get higher change for 2 eels co-op together when you add them to the tank same time. So, it's a hit or a miss if you want to add a second eels but most likely it will be a miss but I hope I was wrong about that and you have better luck than me :)
Honestly this eel is a laid back as can be. He even is afraid of me peeking on him sometimes. He seems happy but pays no mind to my clowns and or yellow watchman or shrimp pair

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly this eel is a laid back as can be. He even is afraid of me peeking on him sometimes. He seems happy but pays no mind to my clowns and or yellow watchman or shrimp pair
Thing will change as soon you add another eel in the tank.
The most peaceful eels like pebble tooth Zebra moray still kill a new zebra moray that goes into its tank after its settled. :)
For many years I tried to mix moray species together and raise them from baby and I still ended up with 1 eel at the end when they hit certain size hehehe.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing will change as soon you add another eel in the tank.
The most peaceful eels like pebble tooth Zebra moray still kill a new zebra moray that goes into its tank after its settled. :)
For many years I tried to mix moray species together and raise them from baby and I still ended up with 1 eel at the end when they hit certain size hehehe.
So do you think sooner rather than later is better? Or just keep him alone?

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think sooner rather than later is better? Or just keep him alone?
The sooner the better but to be honest I would keep him alone unless you willing to take it out and temp keep it in QT until you get second eel and add them back in MT same time, be sure to re-arrange your rock works then you might have better change for them to co-op together.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sooner the better but to be honest I would keep him alone unless you willing to take it out and temp keep it in QT until you get second eel and add them back in MT same time, be sure to re-arrange your rock works then you might have better change for them to co-op together.
I’ve only just added the other eel yesterday, and if I got it it would come from the same place and I think they keep them mostly together.. could be his family member :cool:

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only just added the other eel yesterday, and if I got it it would come from the same place and I think they keep them mostly together.. could be his family member :cool:
There is always for some rare exception so have fun and good luck, it's always nice to have a pair that live together peacefully :)
Edit:
In my earlier post I said the Zebra killed the new one, they were in same tank and live together in LFS for 2 or 3 months, the different that I added the other zebra after a week later and the 1 week old zebra just plain killed off the new one without mercy. I'm not discouraging you to get a second eels but it was my experience about eels living same tank in LFS :) Also same thing happened with peaceful fish like gobies they were living in same burrow, taking care their burrow together like a mated pair so I thought they are true mated pair and bought them and as soon they went into my tank they killed each other overnight...LOL pure luck, right? :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always for some rare exception so have fun and good luck, it's always nice to have a pair that live together peacefully :)
Edit:
In my earlier post I said the Zebra killed the new one, they were in same tank and live together in LFS for 2 or 3 months, the different that I added the other zebra after a week later and the 1 week old zebra just plain killed off the new one without mercy. I'm not discouraging you to get a second eels but it was my experience about eels living same tank in LFS :) Also same thing happened with peaceful fish like gobies they were living in same burrow, taking care their burrow together like a mated pair so I thought they are true mated pair and bought them and as soon they went into my tank they killed each other overnight...LOL pure luck, right? :)
My buddy says sorry to hear that

1E14A78C-E6EC-4255-877D-2B752D8BF756.jpeg

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your eel? I am dying to get one, but cant seem to find one

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back