Identify Anemone

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, hoping I can get some help identifying this anemone. I rescued this 5g Pico from someone who was not able to care for it properly. They said aquarium was 5 months old. There is a tiny, like 3/4" clown in there but it doesn't go near the
20220922_160230.jpg
20220922_161606.jpg
nem in the few hours I've watched it.

I'm thinking it might be a mini maxi but have no experience. They didn't know either. It was in filthy water but it's alive and already looking much better after doing a thorough clean and water change. I'd really like to research the best way to care for it, but need to know what I'm caring for first. I am upgrading to an 80g soon but for now I just want to know what I have here.

Thank you so much.
20220922_161617.jpg

OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it had to be since it was still alive. My 3 new adoptees all look much, much better after 50% water change.

Thank you very much.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maxi mini
Incredibly rare to host clownfish (essentially impossible, especially with ocellaris/percula). The anemone is much much more likely to eat the clownfish if the clown ever touches it. He is smart to stay far far away.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, extremely bleached mini maxi. Sexy shrimp love these nems if you want to get it a friend.

OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I've discovered that doing research. Very likely a big part of the reason the aquarium was so neglected was the lack of research that went into it.

I saw the tank and was crushed by how bad it looked. I had to do something. I thought the nem was bleached. After the water change, it spit out a bunch of gunk.

I'll be moving the little clown into my 30g in an isolation box to avoid any potential snacking from the nem. Planning an upgrade to 80g soon. Just not sure what I'm going to do with this nem now lol. Will definitely do some research and bring it back if I can and I would love some sexies.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I've discovered that doing research. Very likely a big part of the reason the aquarium was so neglected was the lack of research that went into it.

I saw the tank and was crushed by how bad it looked. I had to do something. I thought the nem was bleached. After the water change, it spit out a bunch of gunk.

I'll be moving the little clown into my 30g in an isolation box to avoid any potential snacking from the nem. Planning an upgrade to 80g soon. Just not sure what I'm going to do with this nem now lol. Will definitely do some research and bring it back if I can and I would love some sexies.
They are very resilient so odds are good it will recover. Give it stable conditions and lighting strong enough to grow stony corals and it should be fine. Also FWIW I've kept several Maxi Mini carpets, one I've had for over a decade through at least three tank changes, and I've never lost a fish to any of them.

OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very resilient so odds are good it will recover. Give it stable conditions and lighting strong enough to grow stony corals and it should be fine. Also FWIW I've kept several Maxi Mini carpets, one I've had for over a decade through at least three tank changes, and I've never lost a fish to any of them.
Thank you. I'm a little nervous after reading horror stories. But it does seem like just as many people, if not more, say the same.

I really want to monitor for at least a week or two for any signs of illness before I introduce him to my other clown.

The nem is already looking better. Has a little yellow/green in its coloring now. This was the tank when i got it home (bottom) and today sitting next to my other nano.
20220923_100014.jpg
20220922_132544.jpg

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 and my sexy shrimp never leave them. They are a great pair.

Attachments

• FxDZv08wTs67R8iB1vbppw.jpg
    FxDZv08wTs67R8iB1vbppw.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How cool. I really want some but have to give this poor nem a chance to recover from its abuse. I'm really concerned and feel unprepared. I usually spend a lot of time researching an animal before I decide to get it. Feeling out of my element with this. I honestly don't know if it's going to make it. It is alive, I know that. My starfish is covered in slime and not moving. Did the nem slime?

I feel a little lost but not giving up. Last night the dang tanks heater went out. I caught it around 2am at 76 degrees. Earlier in the day it went up to 82. I figured it was the lights on such a small tank. I put my er heater in there. Better now at a steady 78-79. The starfish is alive too but hasn't moved 24 hours.

I don't think the nem is eating. It doesn't close on food. All I have are blood worms. Will get some salmon today. Any tips much appreciated.

OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering about utter shock. I know it's not good to change parameters quickly but this tank was so dirty that I did a 50% water change day 1 and another 1g yesterday. I was planning on doing 1g water changes every other day until the nitrates and Salinity come down.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones do not strictly need to be fed, and although it is a good way to help them recover, it can be detrimental if done too frequently. Give the anemone a week at proper levels and try again, maybe with mysis shrimp or tiny, TINY chopped pieces of raw scallop.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back