Identify my algae?

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank (32.5gal) has been running around 4-5 weeks now, and is starting to come alive. I'm trying to identify the algae I've got going on in there right now. I know I have some diatoms (on the sand, some on the rocks too), but I've also got some pink and green algae coating the rocks and I can't figure out if it's coralline or some type of cyanobacteria or something else. I've tried removing it with a brush or a turkey baster, and it does not come off the rocks like that. I also cannot scratch it off with a fingernail. My margarita snail seems able to remove it, but my LFS said that they might just be knocking the diatoms off and not eating them. The snail has not starved yet, so there must be something edible in there.

Tank was started with mostly dry rock, except for one live rock I bought at my LFS (that one grew the algae initially and then it spread to the other rocks over the last few weeks).

So, internet experts... What do I have?

Ugly rock, white light.JPG
Under white lights
Ugly rock, usual lights.JPG
Usual lighting (heavy on blues and purples, fairly low intensity)
Ugly tank white light.JPG
Full tank under white light. It's definitely... something haha.

I don't feel too strongly about aggressively removing it at the moment. I've got another two margarita snails acclimating now to help control it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried removing it with a brush or a turkey baster, and it does not come off the rocks like that. I also cannot scratch it off with a fingernail.
My first coralline algae on dry rock started as light neon green spots, so it's possible :)

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back