If 2 clowns have offspring and I put in a separate tank and let them grow up then put them back in the old tank with the parents kill them?

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! (Im a aquarium noob btw)

I posted a thread asking about 2 vs 1 clownfish and decided on getting a pair for the 29 gallon nano reef I'm planning (will be my 1st tank). I'm thinking about taking some eggs when the clowns lay and fertilize them and putting them in a 10 gallon tank and adding how much clownfish I'm able to raise into the 29gal reef tank, but I've heard if you have like 3 clowns the other 2 will bully and kill the one that's not part of the pair. Is this still true if its the clownfish offspring? Thanks for any responses learning more about this stuff everyday : )

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a fantastic question!!!

#Fishexperts #CLOWNFISHPOLICE Can someone help answer this question? My first reaction is to say they would be fine depending on the tank size and proper acclimation... You can always test by putting them in an acclimation box and seeing how the parents interact with them. Depending on the clown type some can be more aggressive than others...

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a fantastic question!!!

#Fishexperts #CLOWNFISHPOLICE Can someone help answer this question? My first reaction is to say they would be fine depending on the tank size and proper acclimation... You can always test by putting them in an acclimation box and seeing how the parents interact with them. Depending on the clown type some can be more aggressive than others...

I would be getting regular ocelaris clownfish. I hadn't seen the answer to this when I was googling so I thought id post a thread, looking forward to peoples responses. Also good idea

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching as well, I have a single ocelaris clown, we lost one in a jumping incident :(. I've been tempted to replace her, but I've read some horror stories about clown aggression. Most of the fish we add to our DT sit in an acclimation box for at least a day... it allows for our current fish to get used to them. I've only had one fish not get added to the DT though this method and ultimately ended up giving it away (BYE YELLOW TANG! LOL) .

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know that they would have a way to recognize their offspring, once separated for awhile. Would they normally have a reason to? I imagine clownfish offspring generally disperse. Or are anemones multi-generational homes?

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching as well, I have a single ocelaris clown, we lost one in a jumping incident :(. I've been tempted to replace her, but I've read some horror stories about clown aggression. Most of the fish we add to our DT sit in an acclimation box for at least a day... it allows for our current fish to get used to them. I've only had one fish not get added to the DT though this method and ultimately ended up giving it away (BYE YELLOW TANG! LOL) .

Sorry about the jumping incident I've heard about that happening to people. Ill definitely get something like acrylic to cover the top of tank.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that they would have a way to recognize their offspring, once separated for awhile. Would they normally have a reason to? I imagine clownfish offspring generally disperse. Or are anemones multi-generational homes?

We are in need of a clownfish expert lol.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pair won’t recognize their offspring. So no that won’t work

Is there a way to raise them in the tank with the parents but separated with a glass wall so the parents will be able to see them but not eat them when there small and when they get bigger remove the barrier?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want more than a pair of clownfish in the same tank, you'd have to try for a harem. That would require 10+ clowns, and therefore a much bigger tank. Just stick with two, and if you raise any babies, give them way or sell them.

It's an interesting thought, but I wouldn't try it in any tank that's not huge. You'd need space for the others to get away, if it didn't work. And I'm still pretty skeptical that they'll recognize their offspring, even when raised with them. After all, there's an evolutionary benefit in their offspring dispersing, not hanging around the same area.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want more than a pair of clownfish in the same tank, you'd have to try for a harem. That would require 10+ clowns, and therefore a much bigger tank. Just stick with two, and if you raise any babies, give them way or sell them.

It's an interesting thought, but I wouldn't try it in any tank that's not huge. You'd need space for the others to get away, if it didn't work. And I'm still pretty skeptical that they'll recognize their offspring, even when raised with them. After all, there's an evolutionary benefit in their offspring dispersing, not hanging around the same area.

Alright ill just stick with the pair, but how do these things survive in the wild if they kill all their off spring lol.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to raise them in the tank with the parents but separated with a glass wall so the parents will be able to see them but not eat them when there small and when they get bigger remove the barrier?
The outcome will still be the same. Unfortunately they can’t be a happy family lol

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that many times with melanopus, ocellaris, percula, clarkii, and just now with bicinctus and it never went too well. At best the juveniles would be chased away and had to stay in the farthest corner from the parents anemone (or flowerpot). If they couldn't establish a corner of their own they usually perrished. So I would only try that if the tank is large enough and ideally has several anemones in which the little ones can hide.
The only time it actually worked was with the melanopus and only because the female of the pair gad dies and the offspring got promoted to male by the surviving father who took over the female's spot.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post your question in the clown and anemone discussion forum here on R2R. Will be watching because I am thinking of having 2 pair on opposite sides of a 120.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post your question in the clown and anemone discussion forum here on R2R. Will be watching because I am thinking of having 2 pair on opposite sides of a 120.
You can definitely do two pairs in the size of a tank

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saying you can "definitely" do 2 pair in a 120 is false. Could it work, possibly. But you better have a plan for the 2nd pair, because it likely wont. I tried to get away with 2 established pairs with anemones on opposite sides of a 6' tank, and that was a quick lesson on how vicious clowns can be...even occelaris. Would not recommend.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright ill just stick with the pair, but how do these things survive in the wild if they kill all their off spring lol.

This is a good question, but you have to remember that the ocean is kind of like a really, really big tank! Part of the magic, mystery, and frustration of clownfish is how they are wired for hierarchy to the point that even plays into determining their sex.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few variables that determine viability, so a simple yes or no will not suffice.

If the tank is covered wall to wall with anemones (or say, one large carpet anemone), then it could possibly work. As @ThRoewer noted, the juveniles just need a place to hide.

However, in most cases, a 29 gallon tank is best suited for only a pair of clownfish.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few variables that determine viability, so a simple yes or no will not suffice.

If the tank is covered wall to wall with anemones (or say, one large carpet anemone), then it could possibly work. As @ThRoewer noted, the juveniles just need a place to hide.

However, in most cases, a 29 gallon tank is best suited for only a pair of clownfish.

Ill just stick with a pair, if I choose to raise many baby's can I put them in their own tank? Or is clownfish incest a thing?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'd have to only have one pair in each tank, otherwise they'll fight. You can't just put all the babies in one tank and expect them to get along. And yes, they'll inbreed. You would want to not raise the babies from any inbreeding pairs.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back