If you could choose ONE freshwater fish that could magically live in your reef - which would you pick?

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun! - all hypothetical - do not try this! lol

Like many reefers, I started keeping freshwater fish, from planted tanks, cichlids and discuss then naturally evolved into reefing. However, due to space and my personal life I only have time to maintain one system and that is my reef. There are times I wish I could also keep a large freshwater system but in reality It wouldn't go well long term. There are so many fish that I sometimes wish were saltwater species so I can keep in my reef (excluding mollies or some brackish species). So the question also the title. If you could keep one freshwater fish in your reef, which one would it be?

Mine is a black ghost knife fish - thinking how cool it would be swimming amongst the corals with the color contrast - its a fantasy I know!

Anyone have a similar fantasy?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a black ghost knife fish.....
Totaly agree, had one of those dudes in fw tank with my altums, had serious problems with feeding and hiding, many nights i spend with flashlight trying to make him to eat.....

Finaly i did it, and he was so relaxed that he become centerpiece in tank, they mostly hide during lights, but he was all over the place all day long....

Sadly, when he grow around 30cm in lenght it was time to let him go....

Upvote 0

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta be plecos --- To not have to algae wipe my tanks ever again --- Loving it. After 40+ years of wiping algae off my salt tanks I would love for them to discover a saltwater Pleco or otocinculus to take over this relentless job.

Dave B

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any type of tetra would be great. There aren’t many options out there for small, peaceful marine schooling fish.
A reef dwarf puffer would be great. Imagine a puffer for nano tanks.
I’d also love a marine piranha just because that would be awesome…

On the topic of cichlids, there actually are a few species that naturally are found in marine conditions. One example is the black belt vieja cichlid, which experiments have determined could actually live its life in saltwater. But nobody wants a reef tank with just a Vieja that killed its tankmates.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rummynose tetras - great schoolers

unnamed.jpg

Upvote 0

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any type of tetra would be great. There aren’t many options out there for small, peaceful marine schooling fish.
A reef dwarf puffer would be great. Imagine a puffer for nano tanks.
I’d also love a marine piranha just because that would be awesome…

On the topic of cichlids, there actually are a few species that naturally are found in marine conditions. One example is the black belt vieja cichlid, which experiments have determined could actually live its life in saltwater. But nobody wants a reef tank with just a Vieja that killed its tankmates.
while not completely saltwater, I know figure 8 and green spot puffers can do brackish and they stay relatively small. However if you are looking for dwarf puffers, then you'd be out of luck

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while not completely saltwater, I know figure 8 and green spot puffers can do brackish and they stay relatively small. However if you are looking for dwarf puffers, then you'd be out of luck
Green spot can go full marine…they are just pure evil lol

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back