If You Could Only Have One Species of Fish in Your Tank, What Would it be and Why?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different species of fish out there and we as hobbyists tend to keep a lot of different fish as well. However, what if you could only have one species of fish in your tank? What would be that one fish species you would want to have in your tank?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lawnmower blenny OR clownfish. I prefer social fish but lawnmower blennies are the funniest little fish I have ever kept. They are all so goofy in looks and behavior

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different species of fish out there and we as hobbyists tend to keep a lot of different fish as well. However, what if you could only have one species of fish in your tank? What would be that one fish species you would want to have in your tank?
When you ask we would love to hear that species you would choose as well

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you ask we would love to hear that species you would choose as well
It's a hard one for me, always have had a soft spot for clowns since I had some when I was a kid. But either clowns or tangs

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As much as I love clowns they are not diverse enough, IMO, for a whole tank full of them Even if they could live together. So I would have to choose tangs (surgeonfish).

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could only have one species I would go with look downs. A LFS near me had a 180 with almost no light and like 30 look downs near the entrance. It was amazing.

Second option, garden eels.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I could choose just one. I would need 2 sizeable tanks.

The first would be for a large collection of tangs. Maybe 12-18 Zebrasoma and then a collection of Acanthurus and a beautiful pair of blond Nasos.

This would give me 2 stunning fish constantly cruising the length of the tank in open water.

This would give me some eye catching fish rushing about the tank looking to ride the currents and picking at the aquascape.

And then the Zebrasomas - Yellows, Purples, a Gem and a black thrown in for balance - 20 of these moving in packs at time and at other times bright blasts of colors spread out all over the tank.

This would be my Action Tank.

For beauty the second tank would be angels. It wouldn't need to be as large a tank.

But the colors and intensity of colors and patterns on angels in nothing short of remarkable. There are definitely some beautiful butterflies, but I think you could build a more enjoyable viewing experiencing with angels.

Angels just glide around the tank casually for the most part. Centerpieces like an Imperator, Navarchus, Chrysurus, Goldflake. Open water cruisers like Bellus and Personatus. A rainbow lurking in a cave (yellow belly regal). And then all the little dwarves moving in an amoung the rocks - Harems of flames, Harems of Flame Backs, a Pair of Colini, a Pair of Venustus a trio of Goldens, a pair of multi-bar. Colors and patterns like almost nothing else.

Dave B

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A black molly because of great contrast with all the other colors. Yes it is a fresh water fish that has to be acclimated, but that contrast makes it my choice. The price seems to be going up on them. They are now about $6 a pop lol.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only set up a Saltwater tank after seeing a few triggers in person, huma huma, clown and a fusco and catching sergeant majors in a tidal pool.

It would be either a colony of a single species or singleton trigger

Never enjoyed freshwater planted tanks likewise coral doesn't really do much for me. so to me its only about the fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a Wartskin Anglerfish. They’re so hypnotic and if I had room for a 3rd tank I’d snag a 1” wartskin we have in my LFS currently.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang it, man! That's tough!! If we're limiting to a single species, I've always wanted to try a warty angler fish. If you allow me a genus tank, probably flasher wrasses.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassau Grouper.. if it was legal to have a juvenile, if I had a tank big enough..

Sure can start with other fish, dunno how long they'll last though.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Pygmy possum wrasses.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back